Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking to buy a VX. Advice so I don't look like a tool

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Hi VT-VX type people. Thanks to some hail in Newcastle my VN is now no more.

I was thinking of buying a VX to replace my car some time ago but now I have to start looking seriously. So I have two questions (for a start)

1) How can I spot the difference between a VT and VX. ie the VN/VP were almost identical except for a few things like the side indicators. Is there something simple like that (feel free to use photos as I am a slow learner). And are there series specific differences that are obvious?

2)When I go to dodgy bros car yard how do I spot a dog, ie what are the common model specific faults to the VX?

Cheers

Mike

HsvPlayBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Hsv 185i
Gday Bro you can spot the difference between a VT and VX buy the inside of the car as i own both of these models 1 VT SS & a VX S Pack ok The Vt passenger floor has a raised floor and the VX is Dead Flat Also Check out the Year Like 98 99 2000 VT's 2001 2002 VX ALSO the VX is a Much Better Ride Than the VT 70 % smoother i think anyway

How do you spot a DOG LOL Ok Look at the K's on the clock if there like 300,000 Dont buy it unless you wanna change the Motor also look for airbag Light on dash look in boot for arse damage also front ask for service history ect .. and if you have any doubts about the car DONT BUY IT Cheers Bro

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
VX has reflectors in the rear bumper unless its a HSV, Calais or Berlina.
VX SI has grey interior and SII has black (Im 80% sure)
VX headlights have the highbeam area teardropped
VX rear boot garnish is color coded to car unless its a HSV, Calais or Berlina.

Hope that helps.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
to spot a dog look in the owners manual and check who the first owner was private or govt are good if it was owned by a renta car company i would stay clear of it hey chances are it would have been thrashed and you could expect some probs in the future, also damage to these cars is pretty common.

be careful but coz avis sumtimes put wth as the first owners name which is "we try harder" which is thier slogan thing.

arent that many faults really wid the vx's that im aware of....

hope that helps
ryan

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
VT-VX Interiors are virtually identical,the subtle differences are the side body plastic strips,the headlights,tail lights front and rear bumpers.These are the obvious differences between the two.Bodywise,alot remains unchanged,but once you train your eye,you'll spot the difference a mile away.Best of luck.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
keep the vn.

Sadly the VN is past its prime. Every panel is dented and as it has lived its life outside the roof paint has faded. And lets not forget it has a 16 year old gear box in it.

Mike

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
make sure the rear main seal isnt leaking, check for ANY signs of oil around the sump area, and yes dealers are sneaky bast*rds they will normally degrease and pressure clean them!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
check for tyre wear on the inner side of back tyres > also be suspicious if the back tyres brand new

Infin8

VXIIBerlina 'Chrome Spec'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXIIBERLINA
check for tyre wear on the inner side of back tyres > also be suspicious if the back tyres brand new

don't have to worry about that if you buy a VXII (they have camber kits) otherwise add an extra 300 odd bucks. best thing you can do is get someone (like RACV here in Vic) to look over the car - they check everything. I did that when I bought my VX - no problems yet & I know what is going to give way in the future so I can save for that now & not be suprised in the future. good luck with it!

Cheers,
Infin8