Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear tyre wear on VT ,pulling a caravan

[email protected]

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
Hi folks , i have very bad wear on my rear tyres on a standard commodore 1999 VT Berlina ,mainly on the inside ,which means negative camber and the tyres are scrubbing out , i know that Vts are common for this problem , i also tow a van .
Some advice is to lower and fit a camber kit , but apparently this does not altogether solve the problem , would be grateful for any advice , it is expensive tyre replacement many thanks brian

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Do u use the special connection system (dont know what its called)
Has high grade round bar (19mm ish) connected of the tow bar and attaches to the van A frame via small chains.

Puts lift pressure on the tow bar coupling - reducing spring load in the rear tryes. This wont fix worn IRS parts
Better springs for towing.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
We don't tow a caravan but we've had the tyre wear problems that the vts are notorius for. We found the camber kit helpe ease the problem but it definately didn't solve it. Idon't think lowering the car will help.

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.
i have my car slammed 2.5 inches all round and regularly carry heavy loads in the rear of my wagon and dont experience massively bad tyre wear.

i get about 10,000 ks out of a pair of rear tyres, but being on 18s you expect to go thru tyres wuicker anyway with stiffer sidewalls (less wall flex = more tyre wear)

that and my shocks are close to shagged. so i understand my tyre wear is a product of my own laziness.

either way, my tyre wear is better than some VTs that arent slammed on 15s.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
thanks for the replies guys , but it dosen't seem to solve the problem , too much if you lower the car and put in a camber kit . I have tried to put in a level ride towbars , but looking at the car with the tow ball loaded up ,it still shows heaps of negative camber . It looks like i am just going to have to put up with the abnormal tyre wear .cheers

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
How heavy (kg's) is your van and what type of springs are in the rear of your VT?

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
It is excessive Toe-in that actually causes the wear on your tyres and the negative camber that accentuates the problem. Because Holden has used the cheaper IRS in VP – VX series I, when the semi-trailing arm pivots it effects both toe in and camber. Lowering will give more negative camber and tow in and raising the rear will have the opposite effect. A small amount of Toe-in is needed for stability at speed.

Because the camber and toe kits have a limited correction ability I would in all seriousness look at a heavy duty raised spring in the rear as well as the camber/toe kits. This will help relieve the tyre wear by bringing the tyre to a more desirable toe-in degree and a more neutral camber.

Thomo

UNLEASH THE LION WITHIN
Reaction score
Members Ride
FAMILY VT & HONDA 04 CRF250
i have my car slammed 2.5 inches all round and regularly carry heavy loads in the rear of my wagon and dont experience massively bad tyre wear.

i get about 10,000 ks out of a pair of rear tyres, but being on 18s you expect to go thru tyres wuicker anyway with stiffer sidewalls (less wall flex = more tyre wear)

that and my shocks are close to shagged. so i understand my tyre wear is a product of my own laziness.

either way, my tyre wear is better than some VTs that arent slammed on 15s.

Mate ive got mine lowered with kingspring lows which is 2 1/2 inches alround & ive got just about 25,000 kls out of them with no camber kit.All ways got the kids in the back with there crap in the boot.I would think that you should be getting more out of you rear tyres then that.Do you rotate them.I do mine every 10,000.That helps heaps mine have warn evenlly because of that.