Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible gearbox problem

marc86au

Reaction score
I'm looking around for a VT-VX commodore for a reasonable price.

Found one I really liked yesteray, a 2000 VX with 152k on it. Sports exhaust, plenty of extras, and 17" SS mags.

As soon as I sat in it I felt "This is the one for me".

Then I took it for a test drive.

It started off well, but they the gearbox seemed to start playing up.

I started at standstill and floored it, it took off well, but wouldn't shift up to second gear. Around 45km/h or 50 km/h it started to lose power. When it got to 60km/h (around redline) it just stopped accelerating, and sat there revving its guts out. I tried many times, with sports mode on and off, and yes it was in drive.

I'm just not sure why if won't change up to 2nd gear, it almost feels like somethings slipping.

Then, I had another (perhaps unrelated) surprise. On one of the runs, it reached around 60 km/h, then the headlights flickered out for about half a second, before returning. They then flickered another 3 or 4 times in quick succession before returning and staying on.

I really like this car, but don't want to be buying problems. The car handles well and doesn't feel as though it's been thrashed. It's listed for $8000 which seems like a good deal if it's a minor problem, but I don't want to go replacing the whole gearbox. Any suggestions as to what these problems may be?

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
try not floggin the crap out of it for the test drive???

it wont change gears for ages if you floor it.

ivaninoz

Ivaninoz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SerIII Statesman
I really like this car, but don't want to be buying problems.

Maybe the car doesn't like you?

The car handles well and doesn't feel as though it's been thrashed.
Actually,
this car has been Thrashed:bang:
Seems like whatever car you drive will have been thrashed, by you:ranting:

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
gearbox may just need a sevrvice did they say wen the last time that was dun?? as 4 the lights flicking on n off check that the battery terminals have been tightened up properly or even give them a clean if they need it

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I have a similar problem with my gearbox, its revs out at high rpm. I was told the gearbox is out the window, some say service but what I did it 20k, dont think a change of oil and filter will do the trick.

J

jc58nc

With the owners permission why not take it to a local auto transmission shop and have it checked out properly, for the couple of dollars you pay you will get a proper answer instead of everyone here on the forum trying to guess the problem for you. I think it would be money well spent:thumbsup:
If the owner doesn't agree to the test walk away, I'd say he's covering something up.

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
I'm looking around for a VT-VX commodore for a reasonable price.

Found one I really liked yesteray, a 2000 VX with 152k on it. Sports exhaust, plenty of extras, and 17" SS mags.

As soon as I sat in it I felt "This is the one for me".

Then I took it for a test drive.

It started off well, but they the gearbox seemed to start playing up.

I started at standstill and floored it, it took off well, but wouldn't shift up to second gear. Around 45km/h or 50 km/h it started to lose power. When it got to 60km/h (around redline) it just stopped accelerating, and sat there revving its guts out. I tried many times, with sports mode on and off, and yes it was in drive.

I'm just not sure why if won't change up to 2nd gear, it almost feels like somethings slipping.

Then, I had another (perhaps unrelated) surprise. On one of the runs, it reached around 60 km/h, then the headlights flickered out for about half a second, before returning. They then flickered another 3 or 4 times in quick succession before returning and staying on.

I really like this car, but don't want to be buying problems. The car handles well and doesn't feel as though it's been thrashed. It's listed for $8000 which seems like a good deal if it's a minor problem, but I don't want to go replacing the whole gearbox. Any suggestions as to what these problems may be?

stay clear from it - sounds like a lemon from the start - another reason why the owner is selling it ( car dealer or private? )

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol, people do not give it to a car they are testing? i always make sure i give it a flogging once at operating temp, it will quickly tell you what is wrong with it.

marc86au

Reaction score
try not floggin the crap out of it for the test drive???

it wont change gears for ages if you floor it.

It wasn't not changing gears for ages, it wasn't changing at all, I even let it sit there for a few seconds. I've driven many VT's and I know this isn't normal.

I always test drive a car fairly hard before I buy it. I wouldn't call it flogging it, that would be burnouts etc.

Just straight line acceleration test, testing brakes, etc, and I'm glad I did because this problem showed up.

It's a private sale, the guy has a really strong indian accent to its hard communicating with him.

I'll see how much it'll cost to get the gearbox looked at, it'll probably have to come out of my pocket and I don't want to spend money on it if it's not likely I'll be getting the car due to mechanical problems.

J

jc58nc

As I said, have it tested by an auto workshop. The dollars you spend now can save you a big bill in the future if you buy it. If it's faulty use the quote for repair to drop the price and have it fixed when you buy it. Or forget it and shop for another one.
With an auto I agree you have to "floor it" to check if the gearchanges are working correctly, also cruise then "floor it" to see if it kicks back through the gears. If it doesn't change because your foots on the floor something is wrong for sure.