Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Induction And Pod Vs Panel Filters

R

Robbie

Hi Guys,

I am looking at cold air induction for my V6 VT. I am comparing ss Induction against Aunger.... Aunger is less than half the price but is it as good? has anyone out there tried them?

Also the issue of filters. Is it better to keep a panel filter in the box or to put a pod filter in? The main difference I have heard is that better to be taking the cool air from the box rather than the hot air from the engine bay... Also can you get a defect for having a pod?

If anyone has any feelings for or against either the induction or the filters that would be great... or if anyone knows of any second hand ger.

Thanks guys

Robbie

Z

zoidberg

G'day,
Dont touch Aunger. I bought one, you have to cut the top of the radiator shroud off because the intake piece itself is to big, it will stick up and when u close the bonnet it will get crush (Aunnger actual tell you this) then once you do that you'll find the holes used to secured it will miss by at least an inch.

The worst thing is....wait for it.......i bought one from my local HOLDEN DEALER!

Zoidberg

D

DanVT

running a hsv cai outta a 5.0l clubbie on my v6 with a bmc filter.. had a dramatic increase in throttle response and believe it YES, better fuel enconomy...

it looks indentical to the stock intake, so no mounting problems at all.. The opening to the box is almost 3 times the size too...

definately recommend this cai over the ss inductions......

try add picture 2morro...l

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Cold Air Intake can make a noticable difference (esp. on the ECOTEC engines, as they get power from revs more than torque), but still believe a corectly mounted POD filter of a good brand will do much more.

R

Robbie

QUOTE (DanVT @ Jan 20 2004, 10:31 PM) running a hsv cai outta a 5.0l clubbie on my v6 with a bmc filter.. had a dramatic increase in throttle response and believe it YES, better fuel enconomy...

it looks indentical to the stock intake, so no mounting problems at all.. The opening to the box is almost 3 times the size too...

definately recommend this cai over the ss inductions......

try add picture 2morro...l
Dan,

Was that out of a VT clubbie? Did it fit straight into the standard airbox?

Cheers,
Robbie

Z

zoidberg

Hi everybody, I havn't been online for a while, just moved into my new house and telstra couldn't work out how to make the phone work for the past month.

I fitted an K&N Pod to my ECOTEC and at night it flew, i couldn't believe that such a simple mod made such a difference.

But then summer came along and i changed jobs from a sit at a desk all day to a sales rep but becuase im under 21 i dont get a company car (but i get other stuff to mkae up for it) anyhow, the heat took HEAPS of power. The thing with VT's is that the standard AIS fits up under the front of the bonnet and thats pretty much it. So when i put the pod in there it was getting air from in the engine bay and thats why it was only good at night.

A good mate has a VS and he set his pod up the same way as i did, but with the VS's, alot more air flows into the engine bay due to a smaller radiator and front bar setup. So his is pretty sweet.

Now i have a K&N panel filter in the standard box using the standard eqiupment.

Its not as good as the pod was at night but in the day it is still better than the standard was....surprising how much a filter can do.

But can anyone tell me how to improve this more?

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
My friend has cut away a bit of the cold air intake unit and directed the cold air to a POD he has mounted.
I'm not sure how much better the flow is, but it looks good

gaza1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
99' VT V6 Series 2 Berlina
Home Mod

Hi, I have thought about what you guys have been saying and I have experimented with the air box too.

A week ago, I first started with removing the bottom section of the box and rubberbanding the air filter to the top of the box.

Well, I noticed the difference too - when it's cool air...

Anyway today after studying under the bonnet where to put a duct and with what, I found two right angle 90mm stormwater angle bends and some length of pipe. Maybe if I ducted some air from the bottom, it might work?

I took the bottom box off and traced around the pipe. Using a soldering iron I cut the circle in the bottom of the air box and reinstalled. Here's a pic.
www.geocities.com/gaza70/S1

After a bit of measuring and rooting around, I made up what looks like a periscope which picks up air from the bottom and takes it to the side of the box. I have put lenght measurements of the pipe in pencil on the pipe. Here's a pic.
www.geocities.com/gaza70/S2

I initially used some cable ties to mount the pipe but have since used some small right angle brackets.

I have also cut a small section of the cowling so it doesnt obstruct the air flowing into the angle bend. Here's a pic.
www.geocities.com/gaza70/S3

Here is a view looking down, the pipe is clear of all fans and hoses, I have used some silicone to seal the pipe where it enters the box.
www.geocities.com/gaza70/S4
www.geocities.com/gaza70/S5
www.geocities.com/gaza70/S6

I reassembled the unit by putting the filter back in and the top back. Disconnected the battery for an hour (to reset the computer)
www.geocities.com/gaza70/S8
Took it for a test spin and it works like a dream, providing positive pressure in the tube, and the tube is steep enough to attract water or rain up in the air box.

To finish off I just need to use a bit of black paint. All up cost me about $10.I will let you know if I have any problems.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
WOW IS THAT LEGAL WHAT IF THE COPPERS open up the bonnet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i would replace it with somthing that dont stand out so much or at least make it look like it was made to be in there,,,,,,if i did that here in melb and the coppers saw it i would be off the road in a heart beat,,,,,,i hope it all workS very well for you the only thing is wow ( the cops and the road authorety) if it dont work? well do you have to replace that part you cut a hole in?.........................best of luck mate take it easy and have a good week end.............cheers

vyaw2003

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf commodore ute
what does a CAI look like? where do you get them from? how much difference do they make and do you think that i should just copy Gaza?