Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust upgrade...nothing overly loud?

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Hi guys.

I drive a VTii commy (v6) and I'd like to upgrade the exhaust.

I like how they sound but I'm after something that will sound good, but not be overly noisey. I'd like noise to be there when I want it but if I'm trying to drive conservatively, (which is majority of the time) I wouldn't like to be making a racket. I'm after more of a low burble sound rather than a high pitched very loud sound.

I know they obviously make your car sound better, but what effect does an exhaust have on performance? I know in combination with some extractors they can give 10% increase in kW, but I mean just on their own. Giving me an answer in kW won't mean much either. I mean more in the way of response and such.

If it makes any difference, my car is auto and I try to stay under 2000rpm with all driving. Most of the time it hovers just above 1500, including on the highway.

Cyb3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S1
I recently got a quite red back exhaust fitted - excellent note, like a deep grumble.. not very loud at all.. Was just what I wanted :)

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
just go a lukey catback exhaust with a straight through muffler and 2 1/2" piping...sounds great and is quite cheap. :thumbsup: mine was only $220.

cheers
ryan

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
So redback and lukey 2.5 seems the way to go. Does the tip make much of a difference in noise or does it just make it look nicer? I'm thinkin' oval tip...

...and those prices seem very reasonable indeed.

Any thoughts on performance differences?

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
tips that slip into to sumtimes tend to make a whislting noise...but yeh ave a look at mine its just the oval tip and it looks good.

cheers
ryan

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
redback 2 1/2 inch exhaust with stainless oval tip :)

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
I have a chrome oval tip for 2.5" for sale if anyone wants, make an offer worth $70-$80 at autobahn.. its brand new, was going to go on my VT but decided to get the twin tip instead :)

Will consider reasonable offers

pm