Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

do i need a camber kit

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
hi guys
i hope i am not repeating something previously discussed here
i went to my local tyre shop today to get one of their free wheel rotation and "safety check" (i think they just check air pressures and make sure your tyres aren't bald). i went to get the rears put on the front so i can get a more even wear pattern out of them, but they wouldn't do it. they said the IRS that my car has made the rears wear out on the inside (and they're right!), and it's not worth rotating them - couple more months and i'll need new tyres on the back.

my question is it worth buying a camber kit for the rear and how much do they cost? i have it on 18" wheels, but it is fitted with factory FE2 suspension, not any lower.

i probably need to replace the suspension soon (but not the springs i don't think). will this fix the problem?

thanks.

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
oh ps - most of my driving is in a straight line. highways etc, not too many bendy curves needing massive camber on the wheels for high speed cornering.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Sounds like you will.
My vt had fe2 with 17's and i need one, the vy i have now has half a kit in it with 18's.
A kit with fitting will set you back around $500

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
hi guys
i hope i am not repeating something previously discussed here
i went to my local tyre shop today to get one of their free wheel rotation and "safety check" (i think they just check air pressures and make sure your tyres aren't bald). i went to get the rears put on the front so i can get a more even wear pattern out of them, but they wouldn't do it. they said the IRS that my car has made the rears wear out on the inside (and they're right!), and it's not worth rotating them - couple more months and i'll need new tyres on the back.

my question is it worth buying a camber kit for the rear and how much do they cost? i have it on 18" wheels, but it is fitted with factory FE2 suspension, not any lower.

i probably need to replace the suspension soon (but not the springs i don't think). will this fix the problem?

thanks.

Short answer is yes. It will get rid of the scrubbing problem saving you money on tyres. I paid about $300 for the kit, so $500 fitted sounds about right.

The problem seems to be under heavy acceleration when the rear end loads up, it ends up tilting the tyres inwards. Hence the scrubbing on the inside. Or when towing. First thing I did to my VY was fit this kit.

Gothevu

Off the chain
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S2 Ute - 5 sp manual
with the vx you have to by two kits $100 each, its just replaying the rubber in your rear shocks coz the standard one don't have any give and when you give it a bit the ass end go down so the on give in the shocks
The replacement kits is eazy to put it if you have tools and after you finish you have to get a wheel alinement it should cost all up round $250

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
would it be a good idea to get this done when i'm getting the suspension replaced as the car has gone 140,000kms and is getting pretty soft?

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
I thought the VZ's have that kit fitted as standard ? As mine are wearing on the inside rears as well and being directional tyres all i could do was flip the tyres on the rim and change them to the front that way..

Cheers

Gothevu

Off the chain
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S2 Ute - 5 sp manual
The vy and vz have some adjustment standard but not much more then vt and vx

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
The vy and vz have some adjustment standard but not much more then vt and vx

thanks...so i can adjust them out a bit more ?
holden should have them straight as possible from the factory.