Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Diff Clunking

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
Hi all. I have searched for some info on this problem but can't seem to find a common answer, so I thought I would ask the question.

My son has a '99 VT S Sedan. There is a horrid clunking coming from the rear end or maybe the drive train. It is at it's worst when slow reversing i.e. backing out of the drive, but happens mostly under these circumstances: in reverse, taking off from a standstill and when cornering at lower speeds say up to about 60kmh. Problem is worse when the car is warmed up and/or in hot weather.

He has recently had the bearings done ($500?) but the noise started after this. From what I can gather, the diff guy reckons it's something else.

I haven't been under it yet and don't know whether it's a LSD or not, but thought I would try and get some info here before I dive in. I have to admit, if it's actually the diff it seems simpler to just replace it with another used unit, rather than mess around. If that is the case, what diffs will bolt straight up?

Would appreciate any help guys, thanks....

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
sorry - dunno much about diffs except that you should get many hundreds of thousands of kays out of them!

just wondering, how many kays did it have when you did the wheel bearings?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Is the diff an LSD?

If so it is in need of an acid wash and correct additive and diff oil.

Can't really give you much more until you check if it is an LSD.

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
I don't think it's a LSD as I can't see any identifying tag etc. The label on the driver side of the diff housing reads as follows:

EF 92053541
S/N 126936
Ratio 3.03:1
*65 EF U 126936

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
sorry - dunno much about diffs except that you should get many hundreds of thousands of kays out of them!

just wondering, how many kays did it have when you did the wheel bearings?

The diff bearings, not wheel bearings?? About 215K when the diff bearings were done. This stopped the whine it had, but the clunking started after this. I have had someone mention spider gears? Is this a possibility?

iveson76ers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
has the diff oil been changed lately? my senator diff had non synthetic oil put in it and completely fuked it, made clunking noises etc at low speeds. Changed oil and its all good again

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
Would you believe it was the hand brake out of adjustment.... Adjusted it at the wheels and then readjusted the cable at the lever, no more poblem and drives great.

Thanks for your help guys. :thumbsup:

Stick

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Executive
Front end clunk

I have a front end clunk when I go over the bumps in car parks and the bottom of driveways. I have been to Ultratune and they have diagnosed and fixed Swaybar link brushes, Power Steering rack boot, Front absorbers. all have been fixed but the clunk is still there. And after the shocks now the car makes a rubber stressing sound when I turn the wheel. (sounds like the Grudge, if you have seen the movie. PLEASE HELP, 1999 VT.

ausleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS Sedan
Would you believe it was the hand brake out of adjustment.... Adjusted it at the wheels and then readjusted the cable at the lever, no more poblem and drives great.

Thanks for your help guys. :thumbsup:

Is this a common fault misdiagnosis?

I wonder how many people replace diffs when it is just a loose handbrake.

I have been searching to troubleshoot my own diff noise, and I know my handbrake needs adjusting I noticed it when I replaced the rotors. Looks like I will be adjusting the handbrake in the morning :)

I am hoping this will stop the noises I am hearing when reversing and driving slow on corners etc.