Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low profile tyres on gravel. Advice needed

kololikova

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim wagon
Hi all, i have a VX acclaim wagon which currently has 15 inch holden alloys on it with 205 65 15 tyres.Now i want to put 17 inch alloys on it but i drive on gravel roads alot, especially in winter time and want to know how much the ride comfort will be compromised or even if its a good idea or not.
Any advice on this will be appreciated

Chris.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
well your going to get alot more vibrations and a harsher feel when you hit a bump. i assume your getting 45 profile tyres on your 17's? they should be run at a higher pressure to avoid big rocks (if there is any) puncturing the tyre and denting the rim and throwing it out of balance

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
i think too that the 17's will be a lot rougher even on sealed roads as well as gravel... thats the first thing i noticed with my 18's was the stiffness or roughness.... 17's on gravel will also be harder on your suspension than 15's ... cos 15's are a bigger walled tyre and will take the bumps better cos of a cushion effect...

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
low profiles tyres driven on gravel roads will chip or flake as they rnt designed 4 the harsh conditions ur best off keeping ur 15s if ur gonna constantly drive on gravel roads and u'll more likely 2 get punchures. tho u can get low profile tyres that r designed for snow/gravel roads tho they will b very rough on normal roads and very loud lol they just have like a stuble kinda tread pattern

most ppl that drive on gravel roads just tend 2 change there tyres more regulary just make sure u check them everytime ur finished driving on gravel roads if u go 17s

kololikova

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim wagon
thanks for all the advice guys,i guess i will stick with the 15 inch wheels as i dont need to be getting any damage of any kind.

chris.

ben7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I drive down 10km of gravel too during the holidays to get home and when going anywhere from home. atm got stock wheels on but am looking to upgrade to 17s. Points well taken. Think i will still get them and just take it steady. Wont go any bigger than 17 i dont think.

disturbthepeacevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu series 2 3.8l v6 ute
ive got 17 inch mags on my ute and i do a lot of driving on gravel roads, and its not that bad, u can notice the difference but its not uncofortable, it just depends how corigated the road is, i would upgrade to 17!:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

disturbthepeacevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu series 2 3.8l v6 ute
i havent noticed any scratchs on my rims either, the only scratchs ive got on my mags is when some nob rear ended my previous car the same day i got the mags fitted!:ranting: