Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips on degreasing engine bay

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Hey guys,

I've attempted to look thru the threads in here but have amounted to nothing :bang:

Anyways, as the title suggests, I'm looking on any pointers/hints on how to degrease an engine bay correctly. I'd like to know what to cover etc to avoid buggering anything up.............the engine bay is absolutely filthy at the moment.

Any suggestions to brand of degreaser would be great and also, if possible, a step by step guide for a complete n00b :whistling

MR.HRT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6
Hey guys,

I've attempted to look thru the threads in here but have amounted to nothing :bang:

Anyways, as the title suggests, I'm looking on any pointers/hints on how to degrease an engine bay correctly. I'd like to know what to cover etc to avoid buggering anything up.............the engine bay is absolutely filthy at the moment.

Any suggestions to brand of degreaser would be great and also, if possible, a step by step guide for a complete n00b :whistling

get some CRC and spray around the coil packs and leads then douse the motor and engine bay with degreaser. I use the Koala brand from Supercheap(comes in a green bottle) and it workes wonders. basic thing to remember is don't let the degreaser overspray onto the guards or bumpers(rinse off straight away) and dont hold the hose directly on the coil packs. After you degrease it cover the coil packs with CRC again so they are waterproofed for next time:thumbsup:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Cover the alternator to keep it dry.

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
MR.HRT - when you say "douse the motor and engine bay with degreaser", I worry about doing that coz of all the horror stories I hear when people degrease their engine bay and one component or rather ceases functioning. I can't remember exactly which component it was but it stopped someone from starting the car................

Thanks accentstencil - I shall remember to keep that in mind when i do it this weekend.

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
i degreased my engine, and sprayed everything mechanical wise and no dramas. it is best to waterproof the coil packs

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
So guys, realistically, I should be covering the coil packs and the alternator before i do any degreaser work in the engine bay............?? Anything else you can think of?

VHSLX3300

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Pac VH SL/X
How old are your leads? When I did my VN I covered up the alternator and coil pack but the leads were old enough that moisture got into them and made the engine misfire. Just dont go to heavy with the hose...and make sure you do it over a lawn otherwise youl have great fun cleaning the floor after. Have fun

VHSLX3300

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Pac VH SL/X
Oh also do a before and after pic :)

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I don't even use a hose. I get a bucket of water with a wet rag - a thousand times more controlled.

Pretty much I just open the bonnet and I spray degreaser on everything dirty except for any exposed wiring, alternator or belts. I go nuts with it, would nearly use a whole can. Thats why I buy the 2 dollar cans.

Let it sit for a while, come back with a soft but firm washing cloth. Scrub for days and days on the bits I can see. Then I use a soft cloth on the bits that I'm not so worried about.

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
VHSLX3300 - My leads are quite old. That's why I was going to do the degrease of the engine whilst i replaced the leads. From the look of it the leads are "arcing" and leaving residue between leads. NOT HEALTHY. So i'll replace these maybe with new Top Gun leads and some new sparkies. I will do before and after pics as requested so keep a watch on this thread.

Bax - that's a very good idea. You dont have to worry about much that way; very very controlled.