Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I lower????

Crimpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Hi Guys, I have a standard 2002 VXII Acclaim sedan :dance: and I want to lower it with Kings Lows and put a set of alloys on but I dont want to lose the comfort of the standard ride.
I am also not sure which would be the best size rim to go for, 17" or18"?
Which would be the better tyre choice: Nankang of federal?
Can anyone describe how much the ride changes from standard when going to lows and 18" alloys?
Also would you trust a Tyre fitting place to put your springs in ?

Any feedback would be appreciated:thumbsup:

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
Hey crimpy, for comfort I would go for the 17's and for lowering it go for the super lows because the lows are a touch high for my likings. As for the tyres I would spend a little more then Nankangs /Federal unless you are on a low budget. I have Nankangs on my 19's I find they are fine but I have it watch it in the wet.

For the ride changes for going 18's with lows you will find it will drive a bit rough but it will be alot firmer going around corners.

I work for Beaurepairs at Rocklea if your close just pop in and get a quote from us :)

Crimpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Hi Maniac, I wanted to go to super lows but I would have to get a camber kit which doubles the cost of lowering and I have been told it will scrape alot as the car is used as family car and goes to the shopping centre alot. My mechanic says to put the money towards an exhaust system instead as lowering just causes problems.

MY 5.0L VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT excec 5.0L manual
dude ive got ultra low kings on 17's in a vt with heavy duty shocks the ride is i bit bumpy but does it hadle good...for rubber ill never go past falken ziex . good tyre!!

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
Trust your mechanic,sound's like he's on the money.Before I lowered my VT it rode as if on air,but you will sacrifice comfort and bottom out on SOME sections of road with lows wich is what I put on.Those ********s that tell you you will NEVER have issues,even with super and ultra lows are all pulling themselves.A car looks good lowered but being a family man,stick with your mechanics advice.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
bottom out on lows?!?!?

Do you go off-roading or sumfin....?? lol

Crimpy, as everyone is saying, your mechanic is on the money!

Getting you car lowered much is really not practical if its your family daily!

You want a comfortable ride for the family, the eggs and rest of your shopping in the boot! :p

Neways, if your really keen on getting rid of the "monster truckin" look of standard suspension you could get away with "low" suspension without really worring about a camber kit as the VX S2 suspension has a lil play in the camber adjustment to cater for the FE2 suspension.

Neways, good luck with it!

Crimpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Yer, the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards just leaving it alone:cry: It would look so sweet though dumped in the weeds with a set of 18" machine finished XHP Sabre's :cool: Maybe in 5 years time when the kids have their own wheels, I will look at doing it.
Anyhow thanks for the advice guys:thumbsup:

Cheers :wave:

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
bottom out on lows?!?!?

Do you go off-roading or sumfin....?? lol

Crimpy, as everyone is saying, your mechanic is on the money!

Getting you car lowered much is really not practical if its your family daily!

You want a comfortable ride for the family, the eggs and rest of your shopping in the boot! :p

Neways, if your really keen on getting rid of the "monster truckin" look of standard suspension you could get away with "low" suspension without really worring about a camber kit as the VX S2 suspension has a lil play in the camber adjustment to cater for the FE2 suspension.

Neways, good luck with it!
I've been bush and some metro roads are just f**king rediculous,so yes I had some issues along the way to contend with including busted eggs.However I was never at risk of dragging the diff out on any speed humps.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, some roads are in fairly horrible shape even in the city, i'll pay that...

But yeah, crimpy, the moral is...
Since its a family car, you want your kids to have health spines and the eggs to be in once piece...

LOwering might not be a good idea...

Might have to save it for a mid-life crisis or sumfin!! lol

Laters

vt com

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
city suspension at slacks creek

low kings around 550 fitted
boag shocks around 465 fitted
rear camber kit around 435 fitted
all up approx 1500 fitted with 4 wheel alingment.

i had these boag shocks in my old vn with superlow and the ride was smoother than standard.

would definately recommend boags