Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

calais stereo in a berlina

lockmac

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a VX berlina and just purchased the Calais head unit and the subwoofers/speakers... can anybody tell me what would be involved in installing this? Do i need to buy new wires and plugs from Holden or anything? Many thanks

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I personally don't see why the headunit wouldn't function on a 'plug and play' basis but there isn't any wiring for the 6x9 in the back provided so you would have to wire them yourself. Everything else should work fine.

lockmac

Reaction score
Yeh.. its basically the wiring of the ones that go into the parcel shelf that im curious about... not sure whether they would wire into the plug at a different pin or what happens as im too educated in this area!

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
wouldn't the headunit be the same? or does it have a plug wich compinsates for the extra speakers, if so, wouldnt you need the new plug?
johnny

lockmac

Reaction score
I just tryed to put it in then... when i put it in, i lose the steering wheel controls.. and really cant see what pins the rest of the speakers would connect to as each pin on the big white plug seems to be already filled up with a wire... maybe its just not possible.....

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
In my Gregorys workshop manual it says that the steering wheel buttons are linked to the headunit via two wires at the wiring connector. These wires are BLACK/YELLOW and BROWN in colour. It doesn't specify the pin-out at the connector unfortunately.

There were two diagrams for audio system applying to 'all models' but only one of them had the steering controls illustrated. The one I took this information off appears to have premium sound system more in mind.

It even has details of a 'diversity antenna' which I have never seen. Must be a calais/statesman thing cause I have steering buttons but none of this diversity crap.

mjm4676

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute, 94 Swift Cino
Looking at the wiring diagrams, its hard to see what would need to be added. Did you get the cd changer as well? There appears to be the speaker connector, cd changer and steering wheel controls connector at the rear of the unit. The connector for the steering wheel controls is a 6 pin connector, with the brown wire on the rhs with black/yellow next to it. The rear subwoofers feed from amplifier, these wires come from larger connector at headunit. Did you get any wiring with all this? I have never looked in the rear of my Berlina to see whether I have any wiring in place, maybe have a look to see.
One other thing, I believe the diversity antenna is an extra antenna on rear screen like a demistor.

Cheers
Mick

lockmac

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies... what i will do is i will take a photo of the back of both my head units so that you can see what it looks like?

With the steering wheel controls.. i find it weird though how on the Berlinas, the controls clearly are connected through the main block connector (as in my berlina, only 2 things plug in... the aerial and the big white block).. where as on the calais it seems to have a separate spot for it.

Any help on this would be much appreciated as I have bought all the necessary stuff and would really like to see this installed.

Many thanks in advance

lockmac

Reaction score
Hey... i had a look at the back of a calais stereo and have attached a picture of it here... it seems to have an extra black cable connected (almost like a smaller version of the antenna) and has a round red cable connected.. as well as a smaller white block connection up top.. also looked at the rear subs and the left seems to be running two yellow wires whilst the other side has green wires

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/lockmac/100_0198.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/lockmac/100_0199.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/lockmac/100_0196.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/lockmac/100_0195.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/lockmac/100_0194.jpg

This is turning out to be a lot more harder than i thought it would be... it might not be practical in the end.

Thanks guys