Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chips?

R

Robbie

Hi Guys,

I am looking to chip my VT V6.... What is the bestr around, and what is the best value for money??

Thanks

Robbie

F

Ford_destroya

Hey mate
just been sussin out the chips for myself aswel. I found that chpitorque performance have a few goodies for the commies... http://www.chiptorque.com.au/
Hope this helps
Bozz

R

Robbie

Hey Bozz,

Yeah that's what i was looking at.. i don't know if they are as good as they claim... Do you know anyone who has tried one??

Cheers

Robbie

M

mickd

If you live in Sydney, give HDT @ Revesby (02)97921911 a call , they do some good upgrades at least for my V8 but they do V6's as well.

www.hdt.com.au

O

onezero

I'll just copy and paste what I said in another thread:

DON'T get an off-the-shelf chip. EVER.

Would you rather buy something in the 1 size fits all clothing category, or something that's taylor made to suit your body shape?

Same **** with chips. Do a few mods first, then get the chip re-written from a dyno.

Think about it - what would a $10/hour workshop be able to find that was SO wrong in a stocko factory car that millions of dollars worth of R&D would've missed? Get my drift?

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (onezero @ Jan 5 2004, 08:38 AM) Think about it - what would a $10/hour workshop be able to find that was SO wrong in a stocko factory car that millions of dollars worth of R&D would've missed? Get my drift?
i think you're dead right about doing the mods then getting the chip tuned - that's good advice.

however the bit i quoted i think the issue is that a re-chip is done to improve performance. a factory chip is tuned for fuel economy. basically a performance chip just runs a richer fuel mixture, and i assume a more aggressive spark curve.

also this is the bit that confuses me - it's not like tuning a carburettor. the PCM will account for changes such as fitting a bigger cam and feed more fuel in to keep it running sweet - by monitoring the lambda sensor. the advantage of a performance chip is that its objectives are different - it's running a different mixture strength.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I dont speak for generic chips but the factory ECU is never tuned for maximum results. It is simply tuned for NVH (Noise Volume Harshness), Economy, Driviblity, Reliability. Holden or any other company for that matter would not performance tune a family cars ECU then slap a 3 year warranty on it. R&D or no R&D. Holden used to play with numerous map's on the engine dyno, straight off the assembly line, if the particular motor ran ok, then great, they threw that ecu with it.

If you want to tune on a budget get a Haltech.

Onezero- What management system do you run in the supercharged 6? Im sure with all the money spent it would not have a simple remapped chip. They just arent tuneable enough.

Jake.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
an aftermarket computer or chip will get better HP, but it will never have the same TLC invested into it as the factory job. in some ways it's going to be a crude alternative to the factory computer, but if you want the power you have no choice (well you do, but the aftermarket performance chip will always deliver more power)

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
With aftermarket management it all comes down to good tuning. An experienced, competent tuner will have the car running better than factory. Idle is often the hardest part to get right. Some ECU's never seem to idle right, regardless of the tuner. A wild cam profile contributes to that though That's when you use the TPS instead of the MAP.

Jake.