Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRD LSD Centre changing

98berlina

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
WH International LS8
hi everyone

i have a 2001 statesman international and i wanna change my diff centre from a one-wheeler to LSD. how hard is this to do, can i do it at home if i have the right tools??

any reply is greatly appreciated

ivanski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Series 2
LSD change over

I'd buy one from a same vintage SS model that has a standard 3.07:1 ratio of Ebay. Probably around $300'ish ??

You'll need a 10mm hex drive to suit rattle gun or ratchet drive. Bought a kit from Bunnings (dumb-ings) for $69 as I couldn't get enough leverage working with a normal Allen Key handle.

Undo the these 8 Allen keys from each drive shaft to diff output bush and try not to let them drop under own weight.

Undo propellor shaft universal joint to diff input bush.

Mark with scribe, liquid paper etc current housing position and undo 4 x 13mm bolts securing Diff housing to sub-frame. Undo two? bolts on insulated mount of diff housing rear to sub frame.

ABS equiped vehicles........
Undo electrical connectors of wheel speed sensors mounted in diff housing. Exchange them into new diff if not supplied with replacement unit.

Reverse procedure to refit.

By getting a diff with same final drive ratio means you wont need speedo recalibration with Tech2 device. A holden job. Higher ratio diffs will give faster take off but sacrifice highway speed low RPM's and are in demand so cost more.

Now enjoy spinning both wheels in the wet and frightening Harold Scrooby of the idioticly named Pedestrials Council:ranting:

Bubbaj247

VTR247
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT ACCLAIM II
Yeah This Is Fairly Simple, Time consuming yes!!! And If you have the tools, then you will have no problems doing it at home, We recently did mi mates Diff, and it took a day to change, Took old one out, Drove 1.5hours aways to get new one, drove 1.5hours back then put the new one in the car, Oil, She Was Done, WOW She runs really smooth now!!!!! See how you go!!!