Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

18" or 19" wheels/tyres...

Vesh

Reaction score
I'm getting a VT/VX in a week and am keen to put on some 18" or 19" replica Monaro CV8R rims (ebay). The price between the rims is negligible (~$100), but its the tyres which I'm concerned about.

How much do you think the price difference between average 18 and 19 inch tyres will be every time I buy four?

Are there any rules re wheels sizing etc I should be aware of?

Cheers

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
depends on the brand, for what i use its about 700 difference.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
First up, welcome to JustCommodores!
Its a great lil resource of passionate owners and professionals who can give you input on anything Commodore! Hope you enjoy it!

Neways! what the others said, there is a fair difference between 18 tyres and 19 tyres...

As for rules... its a very common question but since your new i won't bite ur head of for not searchin the topic! lol

By ADR, thats Australian Design Regulations for those of you playing along at home, you have too meet the following guidelines when changing rim size:

ADR QUOTE:

"The rim diameter can be increased by 50mm (2") but the overall tyre diameter cannot be increased by more than 15mm.

The track can be increased by up to 25mm, but not on cars with front-wheel drive and McPherson struts, nor with diagonally split brake systems."

In a nut shell, ignore the FWD crap and the McPherson strut rubbish caus ur commodore don't got it!

You can go 2 inch's bigger in the rim diameter, 1 inch wider and reduce the profile of the tyre so the OVERALL diameter is not increased by more than 1.5cm!

Hope that help!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

grimavxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S2
I'd go 18's - save you quite a bit in the long run.

You'll find that quite a few people are passionate about using a certain type of tyre, but if money is an issue and you cant justify paying 250-350 for a tyre (like myself) there are cheaper alternatives like Nankang Ultra Sports 2 which go for around $140 - $160 on ebay each.

I've used them for a while now with no issues

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
We own a tyre business and I have 18's, and 17's on the work wagon.. because I'm a tight arse :p

There are two types of Nangkang NSII as well - one is H Rated with no silica, and the other is W rated with silica compound and is a better tyre, but is about $33 dearer.

Last edited:

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I would go 18's, assuming its a daily driven car. I got 17's (its a VR) on mine as to this reason, the cheapest 17' tyre is $120 and cheapest 18' tyre is $160

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
We own a tyre business and I have 18's, and 17's on the work wagon.. because I'm a tight arse :p

There are two types of Nangkang NSII as well - one is H Rated with no silica, and the other is Z (or W?) rated with silica compound and is a better tyre, but is about $33 dearer.

ah well mate this is a good question for ya....ive currently got nexen 3000's on mine and i think they r crap hell hard compound....how do these rate against the nangkangs....are they a softer compound tyre?

coz i find wid my nexens especially in the wet the tyres just have no traction at all unless i start off in 2nd or 3rd

cheers
ryan