Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

19 inch rims , tyre life

thekow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s2
I have a vx with 19's on it. I bought my car and new tyres in april last year
i have done 15000km on it and i have had my tyres looked at in 8000km intervals to try to keep the life up.

Today i get the news my rear tyres have about 5000km left before needing to be replaced. Now thats slightly pissed me off as there is still a ****e load of tread through the middle and outside like over 9mm deep . Looks like i got the dreaded camber isssue with the rear end. I felt a little pissed as well at the 8000m mark they didn't put the fronts on the back . The front are not much better.

Now it is apparently very common in the vx to wear the tyres on the inside but i mean 20000km to a set of tyres sound wrong to me.

I might just sell the 19's and get some 16's if i am going to get a new set of tyres every year!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
30000kms is avg 4 19's so 20000kms isnt 2 bad really ud have 2 b driving like a nanna 2 get 2 the avg or above but also depends on the make of tyres u have 2

if u look at it this way a simple rule of thumb is if u go down in size by an inch add on another 5000kms 2 the tyres avg, hope that gives u an idea man but the camber problem doesnt help with the avg's much either, do u have a camber kit on?

Huge

Turbine Wag
Reaction score
Members Ride
25th Anniversary
Hello,
My father in-law had a VYGTS (std 19's) from new for 3 yrs and would get on average about 20-23,000kms for each set. Laughable, I used to give him a hard time about his driving but he reckoned 75% of the time his other half was in the car and she kept him under control. But the times it was "just the boys" it used to go a lot harder, lol. He started replacing his tyres with the factory Pirelli's but at $600 a corner for 20,000kms!!! So he experimented with different brands. His findings were that the more you pay the better the grip (obvious) but they all did the same kms roughly. I'll pay for 16's any day of the week over the 19's.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I used to get 35,000 to a set of 19's, i have only just switched back using same tyres as i used to use. If your worried about tyre wear have a camber kit fitted.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I got my 19's in the start of june last year... I recon they will last till this june coming...
It'll cost me about 200-250 per corner to replace them..

Though keeping in mind i would do roughly 500km + every week last year.
Mainly its the inner camber wear thats got me...

Time for a better camber kit me thinks! Only got a 2 point atm i think

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
approx $200 camber kit will solve ur probs.. go for a 4 point, gives u toe as well as camber..

any good leading suspension joints can supply/install it for you.. its not the hardest of jobs, but a hoist makes life very easy!

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
approx $200 camber kit will solve ur probs.. go for a 4 point, gives u toe as well as camber..

any good leading suspension joints can supply/install it for you.. its not the hardest of jobs, but a hoist makes life very easy!
been there done that, did jack ****. now i've been told i need a castor kit! i can't believe a recall wasn't done on this issue:ranting: last holden i buy, they can't even figure out how to keep their paws flat on the ground!:bang:

edit: btw i've been running 15's lately and theres no differance in the wear, it's still chewing the inner tyre.
still can't believe they were so stupid as to put out a car with this issue.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i believe they didnt have this issue stock from factory.. its us that lower it and cause the 'bad" camber, but i've had no issues since the camber kit.. *shrugg*

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
30000kms out of a set of tyres?

STEALTHY would flip if he heard that was possible lol

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
Mine wear on the inside fronts because of camber. To get as much out of the tyres as possible I get them rotated on the rims at least once or twice - I can also rotate from front to rear because I have a live axle, but the rotating on the rims helps alot.