Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

redback exhaust questions PLZ READ!!

vt_on_20s

vt gone ve s2 ss ute now!
Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss s2 ute
hey guys i'm getting the 2.5 in straight through redback system catback. i no its got the 2 mufflers on it normally. the guy at the shop said its good because its not too loud and its good backpressure. what do i do if i want it heaps louder, like a roaring exhaust without loosing too much back pressure. do i take out the front muffler or the rear or what do i do...

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Get rid of the rear resonator, should solve ur problems. I had the same setup on my VL a few years ago, got rid of the rear resonator and just got the 2.5" pipe instead, made a big difference, sounded sweet.
Same rule applies wth the VT, but it'l sound different to what a VL would obviously but if u want it louder its the better way to go.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Take the rear muffler out mate, it is to quite with the 2.. depending on what you like though.

VIPVT

Reaction score
just go full custom exhaust, Pacemaker Extractors, custom 2 1/4 to the cat, magnaflo hi-flo cat- redback muffler and straight 2.5' pipe to the back
sounds like a beast, and don't lose any back pressure so long as u got some mild engine work to go along with it.

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
I was in the same boat as the OP - ended up getting the redback exhaust and left the middle muffler alone - I was going to rip out out the middle muffler but thought it would be way too loud?? and attract the coppers and make my car listed as defect - not worth it??

The other option like other people said here - rip out rear muffler and keep the middle muffler if you want 'noise' but you will get drone type noise.

Edit - I am still tossing up whether to rip out the middle muffler and replace with short piece of piping as most exhaust car places will do that $60 Does the rear redback sports exhaust act as a muffler or resi?

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
As mostly said above. Middle and no rear will be nice, a bit drony if it's an auto. No middle and the rear left on will produce a deeper note, not quite as loud but no drone. It's all personal choice.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Anyone got sound clips of a system with no middle muffler?

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
As mostly said above. Middle and no rear will be nice, a bit drony if it's an auto.

I Have no rear and its an auto and its loud but there is still no drown :thumbsup:

I think i got lucky lol

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
ive got a 2 1/2 inch catback exhaust with no main muffler (Middle), just the small resonator at the back, i'll try and post up something soon.....

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
sorry guys, just tried recording then but i can only do it on my phone. sound is ****......cant help ya out im affraid