Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing dash lights

tufvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
hey guys i read how to change the stock green dash lights here but i cant find the thread anymore i'm wanting to do it this wkend if any knows where the tread is could they please help me out. cheers

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
With my car it was simple...

Talk everything with a globe apart.... take lil green caps of the globes and replace with whatever color i want...

I went blue.... but after a while i went back to green.... inluding the guages and the needles...

tufvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
sweet sounds easy do you have any pics of you doin it i dont want to f*ck my speedo.do i need to solder anything

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
With my car it was simple...

Talk everything with a globe apart.... take lil green caps of the globes and replace with whatever color i want...

I went blue.... but after a while i went back to green.... inluding the guages and the needles...

Yeah i've been keen to make mine blue aswell, but i was sure it was a lot more complicated than what you've done. Isn't the green shade applied to the plastic aswell, like its not just a transparent whitish colour is it?
Why did u change it back to green? Did you change all the other switched and controls etc?

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
do i need to solder anything

If you want to do it properly, yes you do. There are other ways around getting the cluster to light up blue with a custom made gauage face that has
the blue tinge through the back of the face instead of the stock green that comes standard, but its pretty costly.... like $200 for the gauge face but you dont
have to change any globes over in the cluster. The only globes you will have to change over is the trip computer window with a Blue LED and a resistor to suit.

The heater controls are the same, they have the green tinge on the back of them that make them light up green. You can either scrape it off very gently down
to the white underlay, or leave it on as the Blue LEDs will shine enough through to make it turn blue. Unfortunately for this section, I havent been able
to find any custom dials with the blue tinge on the back of the face like the cluster.

Im yet to get around to doing this mod myself, but i eventually will do it, and I will be getting the custom made guage face (they only come in white) and suits my
car colour... and the rest just change the globes to LEDs and solder the resistors to them.

Try this thread tho, it has alot of information on how to do it. There is quite a few members here who have done it, and im sure more than happy to answer any Qs
that anyone comes across.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=23701

Good luck :)

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
in my car there was no green backing to scrap off...
I just had green caps on all the globes...

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
in my car there was no green backing to scrap off...
I just had green caps on all the globes...

Strange.... same car, same year.... yet i have the green paint on the back of my heater controls and also my guage face
along with also having the green caps on all the globes. :unsure:

Got pics of when it was done?

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
nah sorry i don't....

Yeah i remember everyone telling me that i will have to scrape the green off n i was all ready to do it, took the gauges all apart n all the dials but there was no green...lol

Good for me!

Though in the end i went back to green after a month or so! lol! so the inside colors match the outside

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
pretty easy...
start with the bit thats around ur shifter.
there are 2 screws near the cig. lighter.. reset is clips... Dunno how to get it over the shifter cause i got manual...

Next is the main big bit.
2 screws either side of the headunit, 2 above the gauges, 3 around the bit u pull down to get to the fuses.
Then disconnect the switches... Mode, Headlight, Fog and Trac

Thats the main fiscad or whatever off...

aircon n that easy enough u can see the screws, just gotta get the temp adjuster rob thing off at the back aswell as the lil pipes for switching which area is getting blown at..

Aircon n demister switches last...

Now u can take the globes out the back of that n take it apart further to scrape that green crap off...

Gauges is 2 screws from what i remember and 2 clips... then disconnect the data cable...

Take the headlight switch out of the main dash bit n disassemble it to get to the globes inside... Pain in the arse! take the switch knob of first (it pulls off) and then the plate with the symbols... bang.. theres the globes...

The green globes that are in the powerwindow buttons are wired in and i haven't played with those so dunno...

Hope that helps n Good Luck!