Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting the dash

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I'm fitting SS fog lights soon, and as i'm gona take the dash out anyway to drill the hole for the switch, i thought i might aswell paint it silver while i'm at it.
Has anyone done this to the stock charcoal/black looking dash surround themselves? What's involved? Ive searched the forums and came up short.
Do i have to sand it or prime it or anything like that? Also, what type of paint do i use? Would it be better to get it done by a panel shop to reduce the chances of paint running etc?
Around here theres a lot of little drop kicks who strip their excels whole interior and just spray it all blue and white with this vinyl spray paint and personally i think it looks ****house. It wouldnt be the same kind of paint would it? Anyone know what type of paint's used on the SS ones?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A tip for showing links to threads....when pasting the link delete the &highlight=painting+dash bit or which ever search term you use and it looks like you actually knew about the thread and didn't do a search. :thumbsup:

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
AH whoops but one of them i knew about cause i started it Sorry :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Thanks for the tips Bogan. I've seen those cars i mentioned in the original poist, and the paint they use must be similar to the stuff you recommended, but what ive seen from their cars it looks ****house.
What kind of finish did u get, it looks good in the photos, but is it a nice gloss or a matt effect, cos i just wana get the same matt effect the SS has.
How many coats did u do and how many cans did you go thru to get the job done?

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Mines more of a glossy finish not matt i used about 2 cans to do the dash and the door handles on the inside and the rear power window surroundsin the rear

But you might be able to get the can in a matt finish

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Went across to the dealers at lunch today, got some prices on the SS dash fascia with the foglight hole aready in it.
APparently the silver colour is called steel, is this correct? Another problem im facing is that the bottom half section that goes around the gear knob has the hole for the power windows switch, but my car doesn't have power windows. Does anybody know if you can get the piece with just the coin tray but in the silver or steel colour? The parts guy couldnt tell me, didnt have a clue. Price for the top fascia is $106 inc gst, and the bottom half is $24 in gst.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I doubt you could get just the coin tray part but if you could cut your old one out very neatly it would fit in nicely but it would need painting. Just cut it out slightly bigger than you need to and then file it down to get it neat. A bit of a hassle but I don't think you'll be able to buy one.
Are you sure you can't get them in that colour without the cut out?

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I doubt you could get just the coin tray part but if you could cut your old one out very neatly it would fit in nicely but it would need painting. Just cut it out slightly bigger than you need to and then file it down to get it neat. A bit of a hassle but I don't think you'll be able to buy one.
Are you sure you can't get them in that colour without the cut out?

Nah im not sure, thats what im askin basically. Duno if i should just get the top half n see if the panel beater could match it up on the bottom half maybe i duno.