Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service question, What am I missing out on?

lad_1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon
Hi I am after some helpful advice on home servicing my VT & VX. Both of these cars are quite new to me so I dont know their history very well, But I want to do the Oil and spark plug changes myself, as well as tyre rotation and simple stuff like that.
Up until now I have always taken my cars to mechanics to do all the servicing. Now my circumstances have changed and I cant afford to do that any more.
My Question is ..... What am I missing out on by not taking it to a mechancic for the basic 80,000 - 90,000k service?
Do they have some magic very expensive machine that can diagnos stuff that I cant?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for the advice
Lad

V8 Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina V8 / Toyota Hiace
Saftey Check is what your missing out on. Mechanics can find many things wrong with a car that someone that dosent know alot about cars will look straight past.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Depends what you mean by simple stuff. If you are not sure of the service history, as well as the engine oil, filter and plugs, you should be changing the fuel filter, coolant and brake fluid, checking the brake pads for wear, belt tightness, underbody and under bonnet inspection for leaks etc.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
80000 is a major service

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
80000 is a major service

What he said^^^^^^^ have a look in ur log book that will tell u what is needed/ recomanded

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Hey Lad, buy yourself a workshop manual and read the relevant info on servicing, it will tell you what to look for. Read a section and then go and have a look on the vehicle at what they are talking about. Familiarise your self first under the bonnet and elsewhere around the car. Believe me, oil changes, spark plugs, brake pads, coolant hoses, filters,tyre rotation is NOT rocket science stuff. I have never had a car serviced in my life!!, except for the auto trans. The book even tells you wot tools you will need.
Pablo

BeNoS

PROUDLY ON THE PUSHY
Reaction score
Members Ride
1000hp trek pushie (on a good day)
yeah just get a gregorys m8 will tell ya everything then just refer to log books for what needs to be done and go for it it really isnt hard good luck with it all

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Even if you do your own servicing the car really needs to go up on a hoist periodically as there are a lot of things some safety related you can't check properly lying on the ground under them, things like suspension bushes, tierods, balljoints, universals, exhaust brackets and hangers, steering rack boots etc. A good mechanic doing a safety check may probably notice things starting to deteriorate with it up on a hoist that you may miss just doing an oil and filter change with it on stands, and rather than waiting for a component to fail you at least know something is on the way out and can plan accordingly.

lad_1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon
Thanks guys for all of your responces, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that at 41 years of age I did my 1st oil change (thats the sort of stuff aussie blokes are supposed to do) and I feel good about it, and am lookong forward to the nest service on the VT.
Cheers all
Lad

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
lol aw well mate you gotta start sumwhere! yeh i prefer doin it myself...then at least i no its been done :thumbsup:

cheers
ryan