Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharging VX V6?

neobristol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
I am interested in a light blower kit for my commodore, the one in question is the 9psi powerdyne kit available from capa.com.au. Just a wondering if anybody on here runs one, and what that they are like etc. being a pom ive only ever had turbos, so i dont really know much about super charging, i mean can you turn them on and off 'mad max style'? whats the difference between the powerdyne one that sits on a modified maf pipe, and a supercharger that bolts on top of the engine? Also how much is it likely to affect fuel consumption? and can i fit a dump valve?

sorry for the n00b questions

Patchydrivesacommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
fair bit of prep work to be done before u start throwing any air into a standard ecotech. the standard 3.8 rods and pistons just dont really cut it. id be looking at something like a COME performance 4.2 stroker kit as a starter. u may want to sproose up the rockers before you think of induction also yella terra make some wicked 1.8:1 rockers for the eco. once uve given the engine some quality gear u can start the blowing.
Castlemaine rod shop make a nice cheap blower kit for the ecotech (03) 54722853. Terra Yella yet again come out with the goods with there terra charger for the ecotech. throw in a set of good custom headers and youl be laughin plenty of rwhp to compete with any 308

neobristol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
All that sounds expensive! darn it! thought it was gonna be straight forward whats the stroker kit gonna set me back?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Matey the stock internals on the ecotec just aren't made for boost. The CRS kit will be happy on 3psi, or up to 9psi cooled, really for $2k you don't get very much (3psi).

For $2K, you can buy a 2nd hand L67 engine, this is the factory supercharged v6 with all stronger internals, will run very happily on 10psi without affecting lifespan, some people run up to 16psi with intercooling. The beauty of these engines is all the strong bits are there already, it's usually cheaper than toughening + rebuilding an ecotec too. There's some great modding places with smaller pulleys, modular pulleys (big boost for track/cruises, small boost for daily), intercooler kits and all the supporting mods.

Stock they come with a 6psi pulley, which gets you moving a little bit quicker than a 5L v8. With 10psi and supporting mods you're looking at GENIII territory.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, as the guys have said the cheaper less pain in the arse option would be to swap out the ecotec for a L67...
Once you got that, put some rockers in it (700), a smaller 10psi pulley (300), headers and exhaust (1000), a CAI (200) and you will have a very quick car!
so 2G for the L67 and another 220 for the go fast bits... about 4200 and you got a tuff car.

If you start rebuilding the ecotec to be stronger the first 2G will go into making it stronger, then another 2G for go fast bits and finally you will be able to start thinking about strapping a charger to it... So you would end up spending like 8G to get an engine that has pretty much the same performance of the done up L67

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Charger.

How about the Raptor Kit?? Just bolt on and your away!! 220rwkw!!

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Whats in the kit? How much psi? How much mulla?

Edit:

Just looked at their site...
they can it runs 9 to 10psi? on a stock engine non-intercooed...

I dunno, might last for a month n then the engine dies!

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Psi

Complete kit. side mount blower, injectors, plugs, brackets, new ECU etc etc.
Just 3 hour MAX to fit complete kit and at the moment, 10psi, non intercooled, 220rwkw. Mine is almost on it way.
Have a look at the Raptor VY Project car thread!!

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Damn, wish i had a spare 5G lying around...lol

Though i would probably need to give the clutch an upgrade if not the whole T5 Gearbox...

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
10 psi really must compromise the life of the engine though, no offense. I'm sure you've done your research but it just really wasn't made for boost - hence the L67.

Could do some crazy turbo stuff to an L67... if only there were a normal manifold for it.