Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust for better economy?

troy wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Execuitve Wagon
Hey all,
I have a 00 VTII wagon. Im not too worried on improving performance just want to lower fuel consumption. I've just recently replaced the oil filter, oil, air filter and made one of those home made PVC pipe CAI's.

I've heard that certain exhausts (other than stock) can improve fuel econ as it helps the car breath better. So my question what exhaust system will reduce fuel consumption and if so what brand/model will do so and what sort of $$ will be invloved?

Thanks for any feedback! :)
Troy

The Sicilian

Ironically work for Ford
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S V6 5M
well im no expert, but as far as i know fitting ne aftermarket exhaust to ur car will see better fuel economy as, like u said, it makes the engine 'breathe' better. n as a bonus u get slightly better performance and (depending on model) a great sound too!

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
Depends on the size of the exhaust also. If u put a twin 3" or something overkill like that it means there will be low back pressure, therefore less power and more accel pedal needed to get up to speed = more fuel usage.

kaishiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac Manual.
hi how you doing. with your D.I.Y CAI do you have any pics of it to post up. and also what mm pipe did you use. cheers mate.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Fitting a higher flow exhaust will give you better highway economy but not much around town. If it's cost effectiveness you want, keep the standard system as you will need to keep the car for a while to get the cost of the exhaust back. If it needs replacing anyway, go for a 2 1/2" cat back system.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
If all you want is fuel economy, ask yourself if you think you will save the $1500 (or if you're only doing headers divide by 2) that it cost to get the thing done?

Exhaust is really only worth doing if you're after the performance or the sound. If you're just doing it to save fuel you'll probably spend more than you ever save.