Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Polyair springs or air shocks?

VSteve

Reaction score
My VT has super low suspension and when I'm the only one in the car everything is fine and I'm able to clear 99% of speed humps etc. The problem is when I have a full car load it scrapes almost everywhere. Now I don't want to raise the car, well not permanently with springs anyway so I have been thinking about getting either polyair springs or air shocks so I can have adjustable rear suspension. My questions are has anyone had any experiences with polyair springs? Their website states that they are able to return the car to stock height under heavy loads, but how well would they work in a lowered car? My other option would be to use air shocks but not sure how well they would work in a lowered car as well?

http://www.4wdshop.com.au/suspension/polyair.htm

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Don't use air shocks. While they were good at the time, there were no other alternatives, now there are. Use polyairs, these will still allow the springs to carry the load as they were designed to while allowing you to pump them up and assist the spring when you are loaded. The air shocks take the load off the springs and carry it entirely on the shockie mounts. I have seen air shocks punch a hole through the boot. Polyairs on a lowered car though....it is a size issue, try and find a set that are shorter than the Commodore ones and still fit inside your springs. Or you may have to use a leaf spring set that have their own coil around them and adapt them to your car. Not a lot of room under a VT to do that though.

The other solution would be to get your mates to go on a diet......

VSteve

Reaction score
Went past pedders today and they have the polyair springs to suit a lowered car. They are $370. The guy said they are good for carrying heavy loads but will only raise the car about 1 cm from the height it sits at unloaded. I was hoping to get it up to stock height. I guess the only thing that would be capable of that would be proper air bags with no springs.

The other solution would be to get your mates to go on a diet......

I usually have my girlfriends friends in the back. I could tell them to lose a few pounds but I'm not suicidal to be doing that! :p

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If the car doesn't scrape when no one is in the back then having the lowered bags in there will be fine as it will sit no lower when it is lowered.

As for you g/f's friends.....well......if they are nice to look at, they can ride.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Are you talking bout the polyair bags they are red and go inside your springs to help with load and they have 2 black tubes that up pump the air up from

I fit them to a lot of 4x4 so yeah they are a good thing and they work just go to the servo before you carry people and pump them up and bit they always have to have some air in them at all times 5 psi i think so as they dont get pinched by the spring

I am thinkin offitting a set to mine as the rear zorst sits a bit low where it goes under the diff and when i have a few people in the rear it scapes a fair bit ..