Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

G/box is ****ed again

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
So as the title says this will be the 4th time holden will try to fixed my gearbox and the 2nd time it will be rebuilt. It has a ticking noise in the box which sounds like a busted bearing of some sort. Im so over these gearboxs they can get ****ed. So i now have to wait till Monday to see if they will lend me a car while they fix mine and if not im gonna loose the plot at the service manager. Im off to a drinking party now but yeah feel pretty devo'd now i know the hoops ill have to jump thru to get this sorted. Was a great car finally when i stop taking it to them to service it now im starting to get over it. Cheers :bang:

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
That sucks, good luck with it

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Admins might wanna move this to the VT section. Was so pissed off i hit VY by mistake hahahaha Still ****ing hate getrag 5 speeds.

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
I dont know how different they are but ive been told not much but i had a getrag 4 speed in my old bmw and used to flog the crap out of it and couldnt hurt it and it had a heavily worked 3.0l in it. IF they fix it and you have problems again take it somewhere else to get it repaired and give them the bill.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Well the common tick, I have had that noise for the last 8 years in my VR, comes from the centre of the car, obviously not gearbox, as it has been replaced twice. Maybe it some bearing in the crankshaft or something.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
So as the title says this will be the 4th time holden will try to fixed my gearbox and the 2nd time it will be rebuilt. It has a ticking noise in the box which sounds like a busted bearing of some sort. Im so over these gearboxs they can get ****ed. So i now have to wait till Monday to see if they will lend me a car while they fix mine and if not im gonna loose the plot at the service manager. Im off to a drinking party now but yeah feel pretty devo'd now i know the hoops ill have to jump thru to get this sorted. Was a great car finally when i stop taking it to them to service it now im starting to get over it. Cheers :bang:
How do you treat the gearbox? Any clutchless shifting, excessive engine braking, slamming gears about or having learners/people you don't trust 100% drive your car?

Manual boxes are pretty damn hard to destroy. Clutches can go, but the box is a bitch. If it is the box and not you (or someone else), maybe try get a reco box put in?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Does the noise change in frequency with engine speed, vehicle speed or any combination?

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
100% the gear box
I has had a gear crunch twice i think when i missed a gear. Its never seen a track or to i race people off at the lights (its stock for the moment) and no one but me has driven it. Its a ticking noise. While in gear, out of gear, at start up, at idle so yeah its confusing.

Holden tech yesterday said it sounded like the tailshaft. I told him it was the box as i had just come back from the G/Fs dads workshop and he had it up on the hoist while running and could clearly hear the tick coming from the box. Thinks it could be a bearing but not sure.

Holden did the same test and then after they decided it WAS the box they wanted to FLEX the engine to make sure it wasnt that. So when i get it back it smelt like the clutch was burning. So now i just have to wait to see if they can offer me a hire car while they fix it. Last time took them 3weeks to fix so am not looking forward to it.

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the word back today that holden will do the righty and fix the gearbox so im happy. Will also give me a holden VIVA for a few days so should be fun hahaha. Ill just have to duck my head in traffic till i get my commo back but at least it will be fixed. Lets hop all goes well :)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
As this is a re-occurring problem it isn't something that Holden is leaving from original like clutch parts, speedo sensor, front uni is it