Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff gears/speedo change, it can be done by Holden

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
It can be done with a Tech-2, had it done to mine at holden and takes all of 5minutes max.

I have 3.46 diff gears, up from 3.08.

All they have to do is go into the gearbox settings, look at the PPM (pulses per minute), lets say it's 4000, you divide 4000 by the origional diff ratio 3.08, then times that number by the new diff ratio of, in my case, 3.46 and voila, you have your new PPM (in this example 4480) to enter into the gearbox settings so your speedo is correct.

With auto's i think 3.73 are fine to get right but 3.9's will be a little out, manuals i think can go a bit higher to 4.11 and just get away with it but my memory is fuzzy on that one.

This was in another thread, just thought i'd put it up with a different title as i think more people will read/benifit from it titled as such..

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Pricing mate?

Thanks

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
Diff change through Mal Wood at Warwick was approx $1300, SS 3.46 LSD.

Speedo change was part of the deal, but if you went to holden shouldn't cost more than $20, if thry charge $60 an hour.

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
Diff change through Mal Wood at Warwick was approx $1300, SS 3.46 LSD.

Speedo change was part of the deal, but if you went to holden shouldn't cost more than $20, if thry charge $60 an hour.

i know im digging up old threads. but last week holden had my car for just over an hour and it cost me $129 aparently its $115 an hour the lady told me.

shoulda became a mechanic...

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
the mechanics working at holden get #### all percentage of that $115 how else would holden make money

Three and a half years ;)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
mechanics at dealership are on about $22 to $24 per hour
apprentices are way less and supervisors are a bit more

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
pretty sad isnt it.....22-24 for a tradesman...thats why my old man told me to keep away from the automotive industry, so i did....and im glad i did. however, ive built my car with my bare hands from the ground up....excluding block machining and head porting.....its not rocket science!

ive got a mate who has no qualifications in anything and works in a Coles distribution centre, works 4 10hr days and takes home 1500 a week for just scooting around on a electric pallet jack..