Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox issues

tri501

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S1
I have just bought a 98 VT s1 exec v6 auto. excellent car. Drove it for a while and the gearbox doesn't seem to feel right. When going along motorway at 110kmh when i hit the power button nothing happens. I thought they were supposed to drop back to third gear under those conditions? Also when decelerating it appears to have no engine braking at all. When coasting down a hill from 80kmh the tacho needle flares up and down between 1000 to 1500 rpm. I had the gearbox serviced and the transmission guy said it drove fine and he couldn't feel anything wrong with it. Any suggestions on what i am experiencing. Any help greatly appreciated. thankyou.

Can someone also please fix the spelling in the thread title. thankyou.

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I think everything is normal. The power button only keeps in each gear a little longer and I don't think it should drop back to third at 110 kms. I seem to recall that the issue with the tacho is also normal but not 100% on that.

tri501

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S1
thanks for the speedy reply mate.:bow: You were right about the power buttton, i just wasn't sure. Everything shifts like it should it just doesn't seem to bring the lockup clutch on under deceleration.
Can anyone else clear up the tacho issue or could it be related to a faulty lockup issues. Cheers.

pumba

OMR346
Reaction score
Website
www.mh-performance.com
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
i have that same thing with my VS V6 with the tacho... and nearly every other ecotec auto does the same thign that i have been into... even buick v6's have done it...

and yea, the power button just makes it hold revs for a little while longer. which is useless anyway considering it only makes power to a certain point no matter if its on or not

tri501

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S1
so all that i'm experiencing is normal. i just thought it might have had more engine braking instead of just rolling, it just feels like it leaves the car very unsteady and ungrounded. thanks for the replies guys. much appreciated.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the revs dropping and climbing is just the torque converter locking and up and releasing, i beleive

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
if you want better engine braking u will need to lock it in a lower gear ie down a hill with it in power mode.

tri501

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S1
thanks guys just wanted to be sure i didn't buy a lemon. the guy at the transmission place was really good to talk to but i don't think he understood what i was referring to. it really helps to be able to talk to people who know about these things. cheers fellas.:w00t: