Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heavy duty clutch in a VX S-Pack

alexvxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S-Pack S1
Hi,
Just wondering if any1 has ever installed a heavy duty clutch in a VX S-Pack 5 speed manual? As i have heard many different things from many different clutch and diff mechanics. I know that the VX has dual mass flywheel or something or other and if i install a heavy duty clutch i have to go to a rigid flywheel, which is moving backwards in technology. If i install a a rigid flywheel, there will be more noise and i have also been told there will be added pressure on the box and driveline components, so i've been told. Has any1 installed one? What changes have you noticed in going from a standard clutch to the heavy duty one? and what brand of clutch should i be looking at?

PS. Any help is much appreciated :bow: as this is my first post. Cheers :thumbsup:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I wouldn't say that goin to rigid flywheel is goin backwards.... and in particular case of goin from holdens POS Dual Mass to the rigid its goin FORWARD for sure!

Yes there will be an increase of stresses of some driveline components as the grab of the clutch will be more aggressive...

Noise wise... i think their starting to get picky... it will be barely noticable.

I'm planning on gettin a Exedy HD clutch soon as this current one dies... Its got a rattle in it and hopefully soon it'll fall out! lol.

Driveline wise the weakest point would be the at diff. In the VX there is a rubber flange thing that connects the tailshaft to the diff... that will probably wear out abit quicker cause of the increase in how aggresive the clutch grip will be. The diff will handle it fine...

Im "downgrading" by tailshaft from the POS rubber flange one to a VT metal to metal one. Just caus its a stronger joint at the end of the day...

Oh...

And from a fellow VX S Pack owner...

Welcome to JC mate!!

Great site form info and help! Most the members on here really know what their talking about with a couple that "think" they know...lol
You'll soon enough work out whos who!

Good luck

alexvxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S-Pack S1
Thanks heaps man...go the VX S-Pack 5 Speed, lol

Yeah i was looking at the Exedy HD clutch, i've been told that one is a lot better than the others out there ie. Extreme. Well i do have to make a decision soon as the car is booked in for about two weeks time, but i havn't choosen the clutch yet. In regards to the diff ive got a HSV LSD 3.46:1 ratio going in at the same time, so that is no longer a problem, i have seen various pictures of you car on a few different sites and it looks great, it lokks like we both have similar ideas in the mods as well :yeah:

i will post some pictures soon, but like i said i only joined today

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Sweet! Good luck with all the future mods!
Yeah the 3.46 should wake it up abit....
Im waiting on my 3.73 to finally come in!!! :p:p:p
Laters

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
Hey,

I didn't quite understand, does the flywheel need to be changed as well??

I just bought a manual wagon and noticed that the clutch can act a little strange sometimes.
Also I have found the stock clutch to be quite heavy, Is this normal?

Kieran

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, in the VX's caus they got the POS dual mass fly which can't be machined when the clutch goes u gotta get a new fly too...

Define "acts strange" and its heavy compared to what?

I find its heavier than my dads Rodeo clutch...

alexvxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S-Pack S1
Depending on what your used to the clutch in the vx felt hevy to me also... mine feels a little springy, someone told me that it is because of it being a hydraulic clutch... and yes to the flywheel and they are about $750 from Holdens :bang:

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
Ok as long as I have some idea when I need to change the clutch and parts involved.

I have noticed that sometime when I accelerate after being in gear for a while the clutch will slip slightly and can also slip for a little bit after changing gear.

I am comparing the clutch to also a Rodeo and a Golf. Any way I am getting used to it.
Sorry to hijack a little, but how do you bleed the clutch as well? the fluid in mine is black due to a split cap!

phat01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS-VL stroker- VT senator- VT senator SW
Less mass faster revs.

:bang:Yep I think a early flywheel is the way to go as I want to lighten and balance it. Does anybody know if I need to replace the pressure plate clutch plate and fork. Or can I just bolt up the old one and upgrade later?