Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust mods, legality, insurance and engineer's reports??

oikurtman

Reaction score
If the RTA states that any exhaust modification needs to be engineered to be legal, and most insurance companies state than any modification you do to your vehicle must be legal by RTA standards, then does that mean that if your car has a nice exhaust that is not engineered, your insurance is void?

There must be so many cars out there with mods like sports exhausts etc. and I'd bet a whole lot of them aren't engineered, but how many cases do you hear of insurance companies not paying up on claims because the car has a nice sounding muffler?

I ask this because I want to put a nice zorst through the SS when I get it, but I'd also like to make sure my ar$3 is covered just in case! Is it really worth getting an engineers certificate just for a damn exhaust? '

Kurt.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hmmm...
You only have to get a exhaust system engineered IF its something thats not normal...
Eg, nothing past the extractors, side dump pipes, coming out ur bonnet...lol

If your getting a of the rack exhaust system from you local zorst joint urs sweet. So long as there is a cat in there and its less than 90decibal @ 30meters...

Insurance companies are more intrested if u got suspension, wheel, steering, engine modes that could have caused the accident.

Once you get the exhaust done, ring your insurance co and tell them you got a sports exhaust.
they will ask if its legal and you say yes providing it actually is.

Thats it...lol

You need stuff engineered if your going outside the manufacturers specifications. Rims that are too big, suspension too low ect.
So long as its legal by your state and ADR regulations your sweet.

Good luck.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The engineers cert is for exhaust mods that go away from the configuration and layout of the factory exhaust. For example, if you wanted the exhaust to exit through the boot, you would need en engineers certificate and RTA approval. If the exhaust follows the line of the original and uses existing mounting points then it will be fine as long as it isn't loud enough to warrant a defect notice. Most exhausts are probably too loud, but as long as the exhaust hasn't contributed to the reason you are seeking an insurance claim it won't affect the claim.

Just like having an unroadworthy tyre, if you got hit and the tyre played no part or could not have reasonably considered to be a factor in the crash then it won't matter. Only if say, you skidded into a car and you had a bald tyre then it may have lengthened your braking distance so they won't pay out. If the exhaust is found to be a cause of a fire and burns your car to the ground, same deal. That would open a different can of worms, is it faulty, was it fitted correctly, etc.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's 1.5 metres from the exhaust outlet not 30 by the way. At a height not less than the height of the exhaust outlet and at an angle of 45 degrees.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
hmmm... i think the 30meter rule is for Easternats... ops... :p
my bad

oikurtman

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. Some good points there :thumbsup:

Once you get the exhaust done, ring your insurance co and tell them you got a sports exhaust.
they will ask if its legal and you say yes providing it actually is.

providing it is actually legal? i'll have to check with the RTA tech department but I'm pretty sure they said ANY exhaust modification needs to be engineered... hope not!

This is :shooting: NSW RTA by the way.

Cheers.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah give them a buzz, tell them what your plannin on doin and if the laws are same as VIC it should be a case someone mentioned that so long as it follows the same path, same mounts, meets EPA standards yours sweet.
Good Luck

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
well like said if ur gettn a zorst off the self like say u ring up an say u want a cat bak its not a mod as such as there usen all the same set up? theresno point in ringen them they will say anything is ilegal as they dont want any done up cars on the rd lol as long as its not over loud it should be sweet

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Thanks for the responses guys. Some good points there :thumbsup:

providing it is actually legal? i'll have to check with the RTA tech department but I'm pretty sure they said ANY exhaust modification needs to be engineered... hope not!

This is :shooting: NSW RTA by the way.

Cheers.

:rofl: If i were you id bandage yourself up sit on your lounge suite and eat microwave food for the rest of your life without leaving your lounge room.

Are you seriously going to listen to some idiot in an office who doesn't know faeces from clay? Providing emissions aren't changed then you can do anything to your exhaust if it is kept within legal noise limits.

oikurtman

Reaction score
damn RTA!

If i were you id bandage yourself up sit on your lounge suite and eat microwave food for the rest of your life without leaving your lounge room.

Thanks minux.

Like i said, I'd just like to know my ar$3 is covered, otherwise what's the point of paying for insurance?

Just got off the fone to RTA tech dept and they clearly said that ANY mod requires an engineers report, whether it be shape, pipe diameter or muffler or all three.

I'll ring the insurance company again and see what their stance is but I'm pretty sure they'll just say as long as it's legal...

they will ask if its legal

but then again, what does a sports exhaust have to do with me running up the back of a porsche? how does that contribute to a crash?

cheers.