Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust droning

lockmac

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a redback exhaust and everything else is stock standard. It only drones a tiny bit, and am wandering if their is any way to stop this? I dont really think their is but am just wandering if their are any "DIY" methods.
Also, since I put a twin tip on it, it seems to be much dronier than it used to be... and i think maybe the welds around the tip arent done the whole way around... if i was to cover this, do you think this could help?

many thanks

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Got a resonator?

If not get a hotdog one, won't drone at idle or be overly loud, open up the throttle and you'll get a nice note without the drone.

Unfortunately in most cases its the louder your exhaust, the more drone you get. Lower the sound a few decibels and it'll make a massive difference.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
i'd say go with the hotdog, but the drone at idle does not bother much. i got the same setup as you i think, redback catback sports exhaust with straight pipe at the end with twin dumpers.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Could be the tip vibrating agains the exhaust if its been welded on dodgey

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Twin tips have been known to cause a drone as they have a megaphone effect. I would go with a perforated tube hotdog on the rear as well.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Get a Hotdog put on the back, that should get rid of most of the droning.

lockmac

Reaction score
thanks for the replies.... are hotdogs expensive? im pretty sure its got 2 mufflers on it at the moment, one at the front near the cat ( its like rectangle shaped) and something at the back (its sorta roundish / squarish).

.. and yes the sound at idle doesnt bother me at all, in fact i love the sound at idle, its just the sound it makes when it seems to be at the bottom end of the gear, as when i get some speed in that gear, it sounds much more gruntier and doesnt really drone...

...also im thinking perhaps it drones much more than my old car (this is my second vx berlina) because my old car revs a lot lower?
my vx at the moment has a problem where it is revving way to high for what i think it should.. perhaps i will start a new thread on this but it will easily rev to 6500-7000 before changing gears and at 100 on the freeway revs at about 2900, which is about 1100 more than my last car... any ideas on this?

many thanks guys

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
This is what a hot dog looks like:

HotDogsmall.jpg

lockmac

Reaction score
This is what a hot dog looks like:

HotDogsmall.jpg

ooo...hence the name hotdog:thumbsup:

this might sound stupid... but as was said before that dual tips sometimes have a megaphone effect, what if i was to weld a piece of metal as to cover up one of the tips on the inside, so that the fumes only come out of one pipe of the tip?? or is this just really not a good idea

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
That would be a massive restriction on ur exhaust...