Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cold air induction

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
A question for you all. I have been told buy some people to get a cold air induction for my S/C VX but then I have also been told the standard set up is all I need and will not get any gains, an advise will be great any one with a S/C VX that has done it if you noticed a difference big or small cant wait to here from you.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Whoever told u ur standard CAI is all u need is talkin sh1t!

An N/A ecotec gets better throttle response from a better cai so a charged engine should get some good gains also.

Some will argue that CAI or not the pressure between the charger and engine will be the same either way...

But with free air more readilt available to the charger it will use less power for it so suck and push the air... Instead of having to suck and push the air it will jst have to push the air without useing energy on sucking through a lil restrictive cai...

I jst read through that n it sorta makes sense but not really...lol

Probably jump on the FIT website and have a look @ what they have in the way of S/C cai's. ALso there is some used feedback and what not on there too..

Good luck!

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
on a hot day you wont really notice much, but on a chilly winters night with temps <10*C youll feel a fair difference in low down accellerating power. thats about all ive noticed in power gains.

I had the stock twin 2" cat back exhaust on and was all standard, i put on the FIT CAI, and as i said... it had better accel on very cold nights. After i put my twin 2.25" cat back on i cant really tell (power gains) but going by theory i would have lost a bit of low down accel but gained more top end thru the revv range.

But if you want bang for back get the yella terra 100mm downpipe for about $170, the FIT CAI is $299 iirc and has an extra pipe which delivers air from behind the headlights straight into the filter box(the whole setup modifys the pipeing from box > MAF > TB), maybe if you wanted to save a bit of cash you could make that yourself tho :)

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
I don't think it is the best bang for you buck mod, though.

You may want to start with a pully, if you want to gain power.

The FIT website is a great source of info, but they end to be a bit dear.

Try ebay or yella terra, for perfomance parts.

I think you get the most bang, from the pulley and then rockers. Everything after that sounds like small incremental increases. Also if you are after it just plain going hard try a diff upgrade.

Not sure on this but I think you may not be able to remap a VX ecu as well. You may be able to add a vt one that has been remapped however.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ Pulley and rockers both need a CAI to supply more air and a bigger exhaust to get rid of gases quickly...

I got a CAI, Headers and Exhaust before i i started on rockers with needed more air surplus...

The S/C VX can be tuned.. its the VX and VY N/A ecotec engines that are still waiting on a reliable tuning package.

If your gonna start spending big bux on pulleys, rockers etc you may aswell have spend the money to have the car ready to use these to their best performance and efficiency...

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Not really an expert on this topic(or any other), but here's my 2 cents worth!
The engineers have setup the current cold air supply and I would hope came to the present arrangement with some good reasons.......so I wouldnt be trying to second guess their efforts, unless you are changing the amount of air required by the motor significantly.....supercharging would do that!. Im sure that the best possible compromise was made and properly sorted out in a wind tunnel. Other considerations are that if the air intake is closer to the ground then in high sunlight conditions the temp of the incoming air can be significantly hotter....not what we are after. If better results could be achieved by cutting a hole in the bottom of the airbox and have it ducted from under the car then they probably would have gone with that? While the coolest intake(more oxygen per volume) is best to get maximum power, it shouldnt really cause an efficiency prob in a car such as a vt-vx comm as the mixture is actively varied according to key inputs such as the oxygen sensor.
Just in passing, the mechanic who tunes my vx doesnt like using the workshop dyno on these cars, as it just doesnt get the same air pressure/flow going into the system as when it is moving....and prefers to go out on the road to check things out with the laptop connected.

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
Thanks for the advise. don0xer I live in canberra were there are plenty of cold days. I want to get the CAI then a 10psi pully roller rockers then I'll up grade my zorst but it all takes time the wife wants bigger rims to so will have to fit them in some where

CHARGEDVT

Veni, Vidi, Vici
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' VTII S pack super6
lol theres sumtin u dont hear everyday 'the wife wants bigger rims'! mate hope my future wife starts sayin stuff like that 2 me instead of 'stop blowin ur money on that F&$KN holden'!

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
I'm very lucky she wants it to go faster to and a bigger stereo and a house that puts a strain on the funds

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I can do the SS Induction kit for $350, but I'm in WA, the postage would be the killer. But still, it may work out cheaper than buying one there.