Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Oil

CHARGEDVT

Veni, Vidi, Vici
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' VTII S pack super6
got my 120,000km service comin up and dont know which engine oil to put in it. iv never serviced the car yet as i got it not long ago, so i dont know wats best for it. i dont care bout price as long as its the best. can any1 recommend me any brands they think is the best for super6 engine for the amount of km its done. thanx

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
PM Lubricants at about $55 for 5 litres

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
My car has 145,000 k's on it, just wanna know if mobil 1 10W-30 oil is still ok or a different grade will be better (mobil 1 preferably)

vtdemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina / HT Sedan (project)
At work we use Mobil Synth S, for general, non performance models. It is 10W 40. Doesn't appear to have any problems. Looking at around the $50 mark. Penrite's equivalent oil would be a good value for money alternative.

blake0182

Blake
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
i use 10w-40 magnatec in my car it has 180kms on it , is this oil still suitable ?

vtdemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina / HT Sedan (project)
As long as it's the right grade for the motor (check manufacturer's specs/recomendations) you should be right. Brands and what not is just if you get fussy. Oil has to be of a certain SAE standard to be sold.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
blake- magnatec will do a job. It ultimatley depends on how you drive and what you use the car for, also what you want out of the oil. It's not the best, but for some it does ok, especially if they dont want to spend more. I do prefer to see thicker

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
Mobil 1

hey i have a vx supercharged calais and i will only ever use mobil 1 10w-30. its got 80 000 on it and still sounds like the day i bought it no lifter noise or anything. Just cause its getting up in the kays doenst mean u need thicker oil.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Oil...

Ive been using Nulon Fully Synthetic 10-40, its been a great Oil with a very yellow and clean appearance, Quite cold starts and no sign of any failure...
$60 for 6litres, Not Bad at all...

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
From an economic point of view, spending $50-60 an oil change twice a year on a basic v6 crumma doesnt make cents! A v6 comms probably going to go 300000km at least before a new engine is needed, even without loving care, at average use thats 20years. Regular oil in large containers that will do the job should only cost ~$3/L. Thats ~$90 less per year than the expensive oils, over 20 years $1800. Now that my not pay to get the engine reconditioned, but who says using a more expensive oil is going to be a guarantee that the engine is going to be not clapped out?, or indeed if regular oil changes are maintained with regular oil that the engine is still good? or indeed after another 20years that the car will be worth a cracker anyway.
Sure if you have got some exotic or highly modified machinery that will cost big dollars to rebuild and you intend to thrash it, then spend the extra money.....it may be worth it.