Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

regular lpg or gas injection on vt

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
hi all,
i have the option of both a regular gas conversion or a gas injection conversion on my vt. Can anyone tell me the potential benefits of gas injection over the older style gas setup? :thumbsup:

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
ah i wondered where that thread went. Regardless, I'm not looking for price comparisions or brand comparisons, i'm looking for specific benefits of gas injection over the older style setups. I have heard that there is minimal to no power loss on a gas injected system if tuned correctly. Is this true? Will my fuel economy benefit using this setup over the older setup? If initial cost of an injection setup is not factored in, which is the more economical of the two and by how much?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
ive had a couple of cars before with the gas mixer systems and had to struggle with backfires, blown airboxes, mixer seizing up etc. Have all of these problems been solved with injection systems?

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
what from I've been told from the guy that did my ford, you shouldn't have any problems if you keep your plugs and leads tip top. When they get a bit old thats when she backfires.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
ah i wondered where that thread went. Regardless, I'm not looking for price comparisions or brand comparisons, i'm looking for specific benefits of gas injection over the older style setups. I have heard that there is minimal to no power loss on a gas injected system if tuned correctly. Is this true? Will my fuel economy benefit using this setup over the older setup? If initial cost of an injection setup is not factored in, which is the more economical of the two and by how much?
What you ask is covered in that other thread, however, at present there does not appear to be any independent test results highlighting the basic performance and economy advantages of the svi system.
At the risk of repeating myself, the basic laws/facts of chemistry and physics tell us that lpg has only 75% of the energy of petrol for the same volume. Already mixer systems achieve 70-73% of the the petrol "mileage"... using official aus government fuel consumption standards for the commodore on both city and highway cycles. Based on that theoretically there would only be a 2-5% possible reduction in fuel consumption going to svi, any further reductions would simply break the common laws of conservation of energy as we know them, so Im in complete disbelief to anyone who claims a svi system is going to be 20-30% more efficient than a well setup mixer system. Ive yet to hear anything logical in response to this from anyone yet! This small difference is most likely due to the fact that we are converting engines that were designed from the ground up to burn petrol. I have read claims from some have that their lpg consumption is similar to petrol using svi, the only thing that would make sense here is if it were running to rich/poorly on petrol or that a lot of cold start/short trip usage is done.....lpg consumption rivals petrol consumption at low operating temp.
If there was no setup/initial cost difference Id go with the svi, though the present systems of having to be dual fuel and having to run petrol up to 40C could be uneconomic and unconvenient.