Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunky VT Trans?

vtmaverick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
hey guys,

Ive got a Auto VT Executive S1 done just over 116,00kms. last 3,000 odd ks ive noticed gear changes between 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 1st, 2nd can sometimes be clunky. As in a bump, or clunk as it changes into gear. I had the trans serviced 2,000ks ago and they said everything was fine, and i also had the tailshaft and diff looked at not long after and no one could find anything wrong. One mechanic even told me vt diffs were clunky as a rule when they changed from 2nd to 3rd or when easing off.

Another time it does it is when im driving around a shopping centre carpark or something doing around 15-20k it seems to hold 1st right out and when i ease off it bangs into 2nd and you hear a loud clunk, sounds like its coming from the diff.

This is just starting to **** me off as noone can give me answers, is this normal for vts? Ive never owned an auto commodore before so i dont know. Ive had no loss of power or shuddering or anything like either, so its got me completely stuffed to whats wrong if something is wrong.

Thanks for the help,

Maverick

Greekos

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim S2
there is prob nothing wrong with ur box, the noise is the box changing cogs unloaded, if the box is making the noise when loaded there might be signs of its on the way out.

vtmaverick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
by loaded do you mean in gear? as it only does it between changes, mainly between 2nd and 3rd and its not all the time

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
hey guys,

Ive got a Auto VT Executive S1 done just over 116,00kms. last 3,000 odd ks ive noticed gear changes between 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 1st, 2nd can sometimes be clunky. As in a bump, or clunk as it changes into gear. I had the trans serviced 2,000ks ago and they said everything was fine, and i also had the tailshaft and diff looked at not long after and no one could find anything wrong. One mechanic even told me vt diffs were clunky as a rule when they changed from 2nd to 3rd or when easing off.

Another time it does it is when im driving around a shopping centre carpark or something doing around 15-20k it seems to hold 1st right out and when i ease off it bangs into 2nd and you hear a loud clunk, sounds like its coming from the diff.

This is just starting to **** me off as noone can give me answers, is this normal for vts? Ive never owned an auto commodore before so i dont know. Ive had no loss of power or shuddering or anything like either, so its got me completely stuffed to whats wrong if something is wrong.

Thanks for the help,

Maverick

Hey Mate

Ya might wonna take it to a mechanic, just for them to go over, just to check the auto box and the diff etc

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
my mates VT has always had a bit of a clunk to it and ive known him for 4 years.
the car is sitting at 315k though.

n0tepad

Reaction score
Website
www.joshsgasandplumbing.com.au
Members Ride
VX Calais V6 Supercharged
my vx (vu) ute with 71000km on it does the clunky shifts youre talking about especially the ones where youre driving slowly and then it bangs into second gear from first. it jerks the whole car when it does it and its really annoying.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Have you had the transmission mounts checked??

Burnout_bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
HYPER VX SS/ R33 GTST
common vt/vx problem,you will find it the worst in you accelerate fairly hard in first and then take your foot off for it to go in second. dont worry its nothing major ive been in over 10 vt's that do it.

vton19s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais
arghhh!!!!
mine does the exact same thing.
so bloody annoying, dnt know what to do!

batty_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY
yeah mine does it to.. some tool tried to tell me its the IRS doing it.. haahah anyway yeah common problem matee happens with mine and my mates vt's nothin to worry about as of yet buddy