Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

140k service

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
Hey all

I got the 140k service due and wondering whats is involved? Is it a major service or the orinary change oil, plugs and leads?

On a second note, I found my cars milage has dropped by at least 20-50km's per tank, it feels sluggish and I gotta push on the throttle more for it to kick back a gear (which jumps from 4th back to 2nd for a bit then to 3rd for a few secs and back to 4th).

Should this service (if its a major one) bring the milage and power back where it should be? I should get about 560-580km/tank yet today I had to fill up at 500km..

Commo is a VT V6 Auto 50th aniversary executive

cheers

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Probably due for plugs, oil change, filter, air filter, leads need replacing, transmission filter, fuel filter.

Oil and Oil Filter - Do this yourself $30-60 for oil (Fuchs, Motul, Castrol, Nulon etc.)$5-$10 for filter (Purolator or Genuine Holden is good). Get a new sump bolt and washer for $6.

Air Filter - Again do it yourself $20 for standard paper element - $80 - $120 for K&N reusable filter.

Spark Plugs- Anywhere from $20 for 6 to $120 for 6 - NGK, Bosch Super Pus , Denso plugs are good for standard, Iridium or Platinum if you dont wanna change them often and waste some cash. If confident do it yourself, otherwise ask mechanic.

Leads - Again easy to change. These are probably adding to your loss of economy. I just changed mine after 70thousand k's and i gained some power and economy back. Should haven changed long time ago. $50 - $120. Bosch, NGK , Eagle are all good. M.S.D meant to be the best but overpriced for what they are.

Check coils, but they should still be fine - Again could be adding to miss and fuel economy loss.

Transmission Filter - Get the mechanic to do this.

Fuel filter - Better for mechanics to do this as it can be a safety item. For some its simple.

Diff Oil - Mechanic to change. Often neglected by people including myself

Brakes and break fluid flush/bleed - Again get mechanic to do. Rotors might be due for a change.

Radiator/Coolant Flush - $40 Do this yourself if you have access to clean water during restrictions. Only use 50% Propylene Glycol(Safer for you and environment) or Ethelyne Glycol(Extremely poisonous-Standard easy to find) and 50% water.

Thermostat - $20 with gasket, again, very easy to change, do it will coolant change.

Radiator Cap and Radiator Hoses - Do it yourself $10 or so-Worth changing by now.

Regas and new fluid for Air Conditioner - Can be done yourself(fluid), better to ask mechanic.

Wiper arms and blades - Change yourself - Bosch have good arms and blades sets. $30 for 2. Top up washer bottle.

Drive Belt - Change yourself.Rubber or get a Gates performance belt.

Get suspensions checked over, maybe time for new shockers etc.

All the above, there is always info on here and other sites on how to do, some can do all, where as if its gont anything to do with petrol and making my car stop, i rather someone else do it proffessionaly.

If i missed something, please let me know. Doing the ones i told you yourself will save a lot of money, to may off the other stuff. Your sensors should still be fine at this stage, mechanic may wanna change vacuum/heater hoses.

Let me know how you go. Sometimes i go to mechanic like Ultra Tune for a check and they find all the faults, then i fix what i can and get prices for the other stuff and let mechanic do. THeres always someone on here that can do most things and help you.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Sorry mate, i probably just told you everything you already know.

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
wow, sounds like a pretty major service then. I generally get the repco center down the road to do all the servicing but I will definatly ask about some of those items you mentioned such as the transmission, diff fluids and get em to get some long lasting, performance plugs/leads.

thanks for the info, appreciate it!!
tom

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
wow, sounds like a pretty major service then. I generally get the repco center down the road to do all the servicing but I will definatly ask about some of those items you mentioned such as the transmission, diff fluids and get em to get some long lasting, performance plugs/leads.

thanks for the info, appreciate it!!
tom

These are things that are generally due by now. You don't need long lasting plugs, just change em every 20-30,ooo on petrol cars. If you havent done your transmission filter yet, it would be pretty urgent, especially after 140,000k's. Should be done every 30,000-40,000 but im sure it would have been done before.....

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Do some of it yourself. What your not confident with and is hazardous, get them to do it. I have ahd good experience with Repco in past, pretty decent.