Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super Charger, Twin Turbo Or Single Turbo On My Vx Need Suggestions

GMHG3N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais Series 2
hey guys I'm got a vx Calais series 2, i cant decide weather to put a super charger or a twin turbo or just single turbo? :driving:

anyone have any suggestions? :unsure:
cost wise? :confused:
what i have to upgrade? :my:
whats gonna be quicker and better for my car? :w00t:
and where can i get this all done I'm in melb Victoria

:cops:

:driving:

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
Guessing by your username it's an LS1. Go a harrop blower setup, no turbo lag to worry about. Harrop do a blower kit for a little over 7 grand. As for single turbo from CAPA you're looking at about 9 grand for the kit.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Guessing by your username it's an LS1. Go a harrop blower setup, no turbo lag to worry about. Harrop do a blower kit for a little over 7 grand. As for single turbo from CAPA you're looking at about 9 grand for the kit.

agreed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
go the turbo route might be a little bit extra but its definatly well worth it

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
don't auto tech do a turbo kit for around the 7k?

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Turbo kits are low initial cost to buy but seem to end up to be a lot of $$$ when its actually all up and running well.

Supercharger kits (Harrop) are a good thing, beautiful presentation and good punch. I recently talked to a local here who has had single turbo 5 litre, single turbo LS1 and twin turbo 5 litre and he has had a gut full of turbos. He recently bought the last VZ HSV ute and is going Harrop all the way, would never use a turbo system on a V8 ever again. His reasons are mainly about heat eventually destroying way too many things in the engine bay, which brings endless maintainence. His advice could be worthwhile as the perspective is from a long time turbo V8 owner not someone from the current rash of T and TT kits now on the market. He never complained at all about the power, was more about maintainence and heat damage long term. From what I can see he loved the power and was determined to make it work on each car he upgraded to but in the end .........supercharger.

The above comment does not come from a self promotion point of view as I currently do not sell a product for LS1, but from face to face conversation with a dude who really loved his Commodores

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Turbo kits are low initial cost to buy but seem to end up to be a lot of $$$ when its actually all up and running well.

Supercharger kits (Harrop) are a good thing, beautiful presentation and good punch. I recently talked to a local here who has had single turbo 5 litre, single turbo LS1 and twin turbo 5 litre and he has had a gut full of turbos. He recently bought the last VZ HSV ute and is going Harrop all the way, would never use a turbo system on a V8 ever again. His reasons are mainly about heat eventually destroying way too many things in the engine bay, which brings endless maintainence. His advice could be worthwhile as the perspective is from a long time turbo V8 owner not someone from the current rash of T and TT kits now on the market. He never complained at all about the power, was more about maintainence and heat damage long term. From what I can see he loved the power and was determined to make it work on each car he upgraded to but in the end .........supercharger.

The above comment does not come from a self promotion point of view as I currently do not sell a product for LS1, but from face to face conversation with a dude who really loved his Commodores

Strange, 2 guys i know with big turbo applications on their LS1 have had no issues at all. One has had a setup for 50,000k, the other for around 11,000k. The first car is used for business use and is a daily driver.
That being said, there is nothing like the whine of a charger and the instant power it delivers.