Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slipping Transmission

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
G'day

I had the transmission fluid changed during a service just recently and since i had the VT back, on a cold start, the tranny slips heaps untill about 30 or so seconds. Still slips a bit under economy mode while still warming up between 1-2-3 gears and when the engines at normal temp, it drives fine but give it some gas while shifting between 1-2 or 2-3 and it'll slowly shift (sometimes).

Took it to one auto mechanic and pretty much claimed straight up that it's the seals that are going hard which means a total rebuild = $2000+..

Another Auto mech and checked the fliud which was still fresh, full and not burnt. Suggested maybe the filter wasn't installed correctly and/or some of the servos might be playing up (cant quite remember) but either way, the tranny needs to come out for a good inspection (approx $300-$400) and around $600 to get my stage 2 shift kit installed at the same time.

Anyone got some suggestions on what I can do? Apperently driving around as it is isn't going to do short term damage so hopefully it can hold out and buy me time to scrape up some funds..

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
If it only started doing this after you had it serviced than chances are they did screwed something up, could be a bunch of things but most likely it's their fault. Take it back to the place you had it done.

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
yeah I did take it back and they suggested to try out driving around in Power mode to see if it still slips about in that, which it did (rarely). Then switching it back into economy made it slip at times but only if I drive it harder than usual. Cold start and it slips for the first 30 odd seconds untill the car can get going.

My mechanic that did the service said the old tranny fluid was very dirty and needed a change anyway, but they recommended to go tot he auto mech at springwood, which I don't plan to go since they just took the easy way out for big bucks.

vk308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
hmm, does seem strange if it was fine before. sounds like they might have done something and are just palming you off

avill

Avill
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Anniversary Executive V6
i found the problem. on my vt auto i had the problem where 4th gear kept slipping,(jolting, chuttering) but when u dropped it into third it went away. the reason is because when u drop it back the rpm raises and the engine is firing and smooth, but at low rpm (in 4th) the car struggles to deliver. this was also noticeable when i was going uphill in fourth and i applied the throttle without making it downshift, the car trans was slipping and jolted back and forth like crazy. Anyway after stressing for ages about it. i nutted out the possibilities and it just came down to my spark leads and spark plugs. they were brittle and old, and they weren't firing correct at low rpm (under 2k). then i replaced them for 54$ and it works like a gem. i know it sounds ridiculous but the reason why it slipped is coz when it was under load it need power and that is when the engine would cut off and my car jolted crazy. thank god its resolves and i have saved excessive money.
Hope this help anyone with the same problem.

Cheers Avill

mknat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
Hi avill,
Thankyou very much!! You saved me about 30 grand because I had enough of the jolting and was going to upgrade the car, $60 dollars at repco on new leads and half an hour later and the jolting is gone and the car feels great.

joshua_20

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT Executive
Thank you very much Avill, you saved me $1500. Now I can drive my Commodore to th Gong this weekend.