Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice: New stereo or plug in an ipod?

sjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Just wondering if anyone has gone through the trouble of replacing their stereo for one that supports mp3 etc...

Alternatively it might be more cost effective to plug in an ipod. Does anyone know if they default holden stereo has aux ports in the back of it as it doesn't have a headphone jack.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
hey mate, a stereo is the last thing on the list of mods for my car so i jst run an ipod through the standard deck. look next to your volume knob and u should c a small female socket that says 'cd in' next to it. go buy a standard headphone to headphone jack from dick smiths etc, plug one end into your ipod and one end into the deck face in the cd in hole. your display on the deck will have CD on there now and u jst use the ipod to change songs. VERY CHEAP MOD lol cost about $8 and u can have ipod in your car.

sjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Unfortunately there is no CD input (female socket) in the stereo.

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
spewing. i heard an ad on the radio for an mp3 cd tuner with ipod ready and bluetooth for $170. just go for something like that mate. i think it was at autobarn

sjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Looks like I might take a trip down to Autobarn - my old Holden used to have the socket - didn't even think to check when we got this one!

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
yeh i was suprised when i found one there, is very handy. def jst get an after market one installed, i payed $40 for JB HIFI to do a cd player about a year ago

sjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Rather than pay $200 for a stereo, I'm going to pay for an iPod and an FM transmitter. That way I can hear it in the car on the FM band. :) No need for a new stereo.

MitchS

Reaction score
Rather than pay $200 for a stereo, I'm going to pay for an iPod and an FM transmitter. That way I can hear it in the car on the FM band. :) No need for a new stereo.

They tend to be fairly ****ty... You may just be better putting a head unit in it.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
if your going to get an fm transmitter you should get belkin as they are the best quality but still cost around 60-80 dollars just pick up an old eurovox unit from ebay or the wreckers. should be cheaper than that.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
if your going to get an fm transmitter you should get belkin as they are the best quality but still cost around 60-80 dollars just pick up an old eurovox unit from ebay or the wreckers. should be cheaper than that.

Have been using the Belkin unit.....along with the ipod it creates a nice little mess in the console.

It will do the job, however, the actual sound quality of the unit is restricted. It should be possible to get FM quality sound from the unit with a S/N ratio of ~70dB and frequency response of 30-15000Hz. The unit I have fails a long way short of this........putting it only just above AM radio quality.

I am in the same quandry.....prefer to keep the stock unit....but no auxilary input.......also not all auxilary inputs are that good either....some being quite noisy.
Looking to buy an IPOD controller unit....(its very fiddly working the ipod while driving.....and dangerous) or even one of the units that has a USB stick input.......should be just as good. Has anyone tried one of these