Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT v6 5spd engine holding revs when i clutch it

xx1600xx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore S
Hi all
my vt holds the revs at about 2-3.5 grand revs when i go to change gears, :driving:it so gay, i dont know wahts doing it or how to fix it?? any answers would be greatly apreciated. THANKS its got 200.000kms on the clock and it a v6

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Do you mean it only drops to 2-3.5 rpm?

Does it sit about there if your in neutral and rev it?

Abit more info would be good...

I got one thing in mind already but need some more symptoms...

Cheers

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Do you mean like holds it's revs and increases a little bit when changing gears, cause all the VT's - VYs do it, the only way you can avoid it is to let go of the accerators for a few secs than change gears, try that and see if thats works ??? Get what i mean ??

xx1600xx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore S
thanks guys for your info, yer if i drive at say 4grand and let the acclerator out it will engine break quickly down to about 2700 and then it seems to stay there and slowly drop to about 2400 then go back to normal(engine break normaly untill i put the clutch in). or if im driving at say 4000 again and push the clutch in the revs will drop to 2700 stay there for a second and slowly drop to 2400 then quickly drop to idle. it only dose it when im driven, it wont do it if i just rev it to 4000 and let go while im not going thnk you so much for your replys :)

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
yeah my VY does that aswell, i think its got something to do with emmisions tests, and the mass flywheel...

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Ok, so it does eventually drop back down to idle...

Here is what i think...

The idle controller is either faulty OR the ECU is getting bad reasing from a sensor such as the TPS sensor or something and telling the idle controller to stay open and cloe like that...

Things i would do:

1. Make sure all the connections on the throttlebody are on properly...

2. Do an error check, either yourself or @ holden... cost me 20 bux for a error check and clear last time i did it.

Also what i would do it start your car up, pop the bonnet and disconnect the idle controller, go for a drive...

They problem SHOULD not occur again if its what im thinking. BUT you will have an engine light and there will be a chance the thing will want to stall on you know n then...

I would only do this if its really irritating you and you need to drive around before getting the issue sorted.

I drove my car around for 3 days like this when i was having issues with my TPS.

There are a few things that could cause this as my idea is just one of them...

As i said, going into holden and getting a error readout and clear would be pretty high on my to-do list and noramlly i avoid using holden like the plague!

Good Luck

xx1600xx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore S
thank you all for the help youve given me, ill try disconcting the tps. i did put another one on the and that didnt help. but ill try disconecting it. thnx :)

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
No no... don't disconnect the TPS... just the idle controller... the other lead...

On that note... what did you replace?? the TPS?? Give me some info on this...

VX-Spak

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VX S pack
I got the same problem with my 5 speed v6 manual and I disconnected the idle controller and it stopped the problem. Should I replace the sensor with a new one from Holden or what else is there you can do

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The tune in the computer does it, you can test it out if you unplug the speedo sensor it will stop it but then you have no speedo and you will have problems stalling when putting the clutch in and coming to a stop. And then other funny things start to happen like cutting in and out and idling high etc.

The idea is to promote a smooth gear change because when you rev it out to 4k rpm the next gear is going to be higher then 2700rpm so even if you dump the clutch with no throttle the cars not going to jerk forward very harshly. Mainly a thing for people who arent 'drivers' so the computer sort of rev matches a little bit for them.