Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Induction Kits

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Hi there. I just bought a VX commodore with a 5.7 v8 and I wanna get a induction kit on it. I used to have a SS Inductions kit on my old VR v6 which cost me like 350 or so. The v8 ones are like 500 bucks plus. I reckon that's pretty bad for just a bit of plastic to catch air. Does anybody know of any aftermarket places that sell bolt on Induction systems on the cheap? I don't want to use a stock Monaro one or whatever cause Holden parts are a rip off. I guess I could try a wrecker or whatever but I want a new one.

R

Robbie

VXWAGMAN,

I got one for my VT From AutoPro in Newcastle...

it is for a v6... the V6 is the same as the V8 except the Gen 3 in the VT and I would be pretty sure u could get the same one for the VX.... I got mine for 199.. I am sure that price was wrong because I rang aunger themselves and they thought that was too cheap... i am assuming the price was wron in their system... but I took it for that price... most other places are charging 350 - 500 for them..

I hope this helps,

Robbie

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers. Yeah looking at the SS Inductions the Gen3 is kinda bigger for the high flow hence the bigger price tag.. If you got any website URL's so I can email em' please post em. Thanks

R

Robbie

I went to www.aunger.com.au.. only gave me a part number...

I played some phone tennis with the contact numbers on their web page and eventually rang 07 3268 7655 I think and talked to a guy up there... He was a bit helpfull... He pointed me to a Repco dealer but they were more expensive... If you like We can try and get one here for the 199 again and ship it down if it is the same part number.. mine is RAI1806... But you may be able to get it cheaper closer...

Let me know,

Robbie

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for calling em for me man.. I think i'll take a look around. I prolly will hold off on the induction kit for a while considering i just layed down the cash for my new Wagon.. hehe.. It will come after the windows get tinted.. lol.

G

Grantis1976

I'm not sure of the exact link, but if u look in the VL, section, you'll find instructions, photos etc, on making a home made setup, costs about $50, and is alot more affective as it goes straight down thru the wheel arch, not pass the added heat of engine bay and radiator.
Good Luck !!!

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
holdens prices are not too bad ok i got a v6 intake and it cost 85 bucks
but thats not too bad the k&n filter costs a bit more but you dont get that from holdens.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I've seen people make their own home made ones with flexable tubing and that but It kinda looks cheap and nasty. maybe on a old VB commodore that would be ok but not on my VX 5.7.. I might as well wait and get a 500 bucks one that looks professionally installed. I know somebody who made one and the tubing was too long and he had some problems with it etc.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
I addition would I be recomended to buy an induction system with a intake or would it be better to get a rampod type arrangement? Do they do much more than say the SS inductions as far as air flow being that the rampod's sit inside the engine bay and probably don't get as much direct cold air flow ?

these for example:

http://www.uniflow.com.au/images/gen3_a.jpg
http://www.uniflow.com.au/images/custom_in...n3_shield_1.jpg

as opposed to this:

http://www.ssinductions.com.au/assets/imag...l-on-car-04.jpg

The more info and stories from people who have done this the better my decission will be to buy.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
If properly mounted a K&N Pod filter is your best bet, the uniflow rampod's aren't bad but more of a gimmick in my opinion.

If you can mount the pod in a high stagnation area, ie) Up at the same level as a CAI duct then your laughing. All an aftermarket/genuine CAI does is direct airflow that is already rushing under your bonnet.

The homemade and unintrusive PVC into the bottom of the airbox through the inner gaurd is even better for picking up air over the high priced CAI. You can't even see it unless you remove the airbox or look under the car. I will admit I wouldn't cut a hole in a VX for it though.

Jake.