Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how long should spark plugs last?

rosyjo11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive wagon
Mine were apparently replaced 23 000klm ago /July 03.

Cheers,
Jo
98 vt wagon

rosyjo11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive wagon
oops, just found the answer in my service manual - 40000klm.

Possible that they die out earlier?

JO

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Definately possible- condition of the motor and spark- If its burning too hot or cold, too rich or too lean it will play with them a bit. I replace them usually everytime I do a service. 5-10 thousand clicks. They aren't dear so.....

K

Krizto

Generally 30-40,000kms but I do mine every 10,000kms and the car has never missed a beat. Also oil every 10,000 according to Holden but I do mine every 5,000. Over serviced yes but ever had a problem .... NOPE !!!

:yeah:

R

RKZ234

rosyjo11 said:
oops, just found the answer in my service manual - 40000klm.

Possible that they die out earlier?

JO

In my view 40,000km is far too long. I replace plugs every 20,000km (and get better fuel economy right away) and whilst I'm on the subject of maintenance, Oil & Filter every 5000km too.

CRUSTY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt2 commodore wagon
Spark Leads

Hey Guys, interesting point you all raise.
I have just bought our new car from bro in law and he has changed leads at the same intervals. He has so kindly put on for me the top of the range leads (they look like gun barrels at the spark end), said that it was a curse to change them. Your info will be helpful when I am overservicing our car at every 5000km (25000 for plugs & leads). He has done the same thing and car never missed a beat. :hit: :rofl:

Ps have you checked out the new Holden Grange, my DREAM car!!!!!

squizzytaylor

Reaction score
Man thats crazy! plugs definately every 20'000 however a good set of leads should last 100'000-200'000 before deteriorating. The original Holden leads are a stupid idea and they basically compensated for cheap leads by fitting those silly metal shields on the plug ends. Good pure virgin silicone leads like Top Gun etc should realistically last 5-10 years.

GT

CRUSTY said:
Hey Guys, interesting point you all raise.
I have just bought our new car from bro in law and he has changed leads at the same intervals. He has so kindly put on for me the top of the range leads (they look like gun barrels at the spark end), said that it was a curse to change them. Your info will be helpful when I am overservicing our car at every 5000km (25000 for plugs & leads). He has done the same thing and car never missed a beat. :hit: :rofl:

Ps have you checked out the new Holden Grange, my DREAM car!!!!!