Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are Extractors Worth It?

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
I'm thinking of getting a high flow twin exhaust but what I want to know is are extractors worth it on a 5.7 v8? Will they make substancial inproovement in HP? I'm after comments from those who have fitted or have had these installed.

G

grover

you always get a bit more power with extractors.are you talking extractors or headers,a lot of people dont know there is a difference

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry for my vague knowledge of this but I realy dont know the difference. I'm no mechannic..

I just want more power out of my v8

G

grover

extractors are the ones where all the pipes go into one big collector ie:eek:n a v8 4 pipes into 1,then exhaust joins to collector.headers look very similiar but there are 3 collectors,2 pipes into 1 collector x 2,then 2 pipes out of these 2 collectors into 1 collector then the exhaust joins up to it.headers are the most common,they dont need as much room on the end of them as extractors do.extractors make more power though,less restriction-flow easier,but they are usually more expensive.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh.. ok.. I had a vague idea but I never realy have need to mess around down there. I leave that to the professionals.. hehe.. I tend to get half way through something and then get frustrated that Holden can make something so difficult to pull apart and then just put it back together.

G

grover

know what you mean.i'm fine with anything mechanical,but only just getting a grip on the computerised car thing.technology has finally caught up with me!!

G

grover

oh yeah.if you're going for a new system you might as well go the whole hog and do the extractor/header thing.i would have thought that the 5.7 would already have headers of some description.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hehe yeah It all coems down to the cash in the end.. Or who you know if you happen to have friends who work in the industry..

R

Rajah

We never bothered getting extactors when we did our VX. The twin exhaust and increasing the Mass Air Flow Sensor are the two main things people seem to do with the Gen3's. I know a couple of other guys who've done the same thing as us. It'll set you back about $800 to do that and will give you a substantial increase in power.

G

Grantis1976

I think you will find " Street Machine " have not long done some massive back-to-back tests on headers/extractors, clutches, and cams for the Gen III.
They showed the dyno sheets with sigle systems, exhust only, and exhust-cam packages. Its alittle extra money, but I would personaly sugget a complete pack like "Crow" Cam, exhust & chip. The other would be Di Fillipo Exhust. Up to you!
Good Luck !!!