Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 EcoTec Twin turbo or super charger ?

K

klinger

Hey guys,

Am looking at various options for alternatives to doing up a eight.

I figure eights are like arse holes. Everyones got one. Or had one. So im looking at something different perhaps based off a standard, obviously slightly or majorly worked to accomodate whatever method of induction chosen to pursue, V6 EcoTec platform.

What do you guys think ? And girls too.

In the way of forced induction go either the usual s/c route travelled many times before and well worn ?

Or look at something like single or twin turbo set up ?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Ideas and options thank you and welcome,

Klinger.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Check out www.V6supercharged.com.au they have a good site and cater for factory S/C and their custom single and twin turbo set ups....i am contemplating a set of their 1.9:1 roller rockers to see what sorta gains i can get....

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Heaps of information already in this forum. Do a search and I think you will find heaps. There is a s/c kit around that you can whack on pretty cheaply and it will probably work out cheaper than a turbo setup. I think Bextor84 has just finished a turbo conversion in his Commodore, check it out.

You could always look at a different engine altogther, even for the sake of being different.

You could try:

RB30ET,RB26DETT,RB25DET,RB30DETT

or

Toyota/Lexus 4.0 Quad cam V8

or

Nissan VH45DE Quad cam V8

or

LS1

or

LS2

Don't discount V8's altogether. There are some interesting developments in the V8 world at the moment.

What sort of car are you playing with?

K

klinger

Am playing with a VT S pack.

The sound of the RB series of engines sounds enticing and have been looking towards them for a while but am unsure as I dont want to have to pump the majority of money into the drop. I mean something relatively easy on the install side of things is the way to go.

Obviously there are goning to be some mods required as only a holden engine is going to drop straight into a holden engine bay. This is to be expected but I want to keep obvious general mods to a minimum if possible. But the RB series is enticing.

The car in general is immaculate, paint work interior etc all spot on - easy to acheive when you work at Autobarn, but am looking for a little more bang for my buck so to speak. Not to mention that in the last couple of years Ive sorta clocked up the kays - 257,000 to be correct.

Yeah not to shy on it lol. What can I say I love my car as we all do.

So any other suggestions or ideas ? What do you suggest and details on the RB's ? Or even the other engines you recommend such as attributes of each and ease of install etc. What do u think Slooth ?

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Engines

Wow, 257!!! Okay. The RB drop in is not as hard as you might think. Since Holden had the wonderful idea to replace the 202 six with the RB30E in the VL series, dropping in a Nissan 6 is easy. You can get the VL cross member to bolt straight up to any of the VB to VP Commodores. Now Í'm not sure how different the set up is for the VP+ but I have heard it being done. The RB series itself should have no problem physically fitting in your engine bay either.

The pick of the Skyline engines would obviously be the GTR engine (RB26DETT), capable of 300kW with a few simple tweaks. If you don't want to stretch that far then your next option would be the RB25DET NEO, and then after that the non-NEO version. The RB is great from the outset due to it's reving capacity and free flowing twin cam head (just look at what that did for the current Ford 6.) Any other capacity RB smaller than this is not going to get the large Commodore off the mark efficiently enough.

A popular conversion seen in anything from many 4WDs to MG is the Toyota quad cam 4.0 V8. It is a pefect size V8 as it isn't hugh in capacity but revs well and is able to breathe brilliantly because of the quad cam, 32 valve heads. This is not such a straight drop in because there is no ready made crossmember for the engine. The engine is a little wider because of the twin cam heads so fitment with a couple of things in the engine bay may be an issue, but nothing immpossible (ie. the MG.) These engines are super strong being over-engineered from the factory, capable of taking on heaps of boost standard. Just look at the 6 bolt mains!!

The other Quad cam is the Nissan V8. The capacity of this engine picks up to 4.5ltr. This isn't used in as many conversions - why I don't know. This is in the same boat as the Toyota. I have always wanted to do a twin turbo conversion with this engine.

The above engines are doable by buying Jap import front cuts that give you all the engine, computer, wiring loom and gearbox that you will need for the conversion. The price for these are quite reasonable.

Beyond this, you are looking at buying from a wreckers or Holden direct, a LS1 Gen III or the HSV LS2. I would imagine these would be pretty expensive options though.

There are many things you can do when looking into power upgrades, it's just finding something different that is hard. Hope these ideas help.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
What about a toyota 2JZ-GTE? 3.0 litres straight off the bat! just as strong as the RB engines and just as responsive to modifications....should slot into VT engine bay with ease....

K

klinger

The Toyota engine sounds like an interesting idea. Supra engine though usually isnt it ? And the general construction of Toyota drive lines and engines which are generally bullet proof makes the concept even more ideal.

Although the catch is with this particular engine the amount of wear on the turbos. Being that generally any young fella or female for that matter whos had that vehicle has sure as hell ran it like crap although on the other hand if you can muster up enough strength to actually do any significant damage to it Id be impressed.

So generally its gonna be a case of turbo lag or something along thos lines which is piss easy to fix. New turbos along the lines of Garret should provide entertainment i think lol.

Though this does sound intriguing for sure. So far its a toss up between the Rb series and the 2j. Ive also had experience with Toyotas before so I know they're durability. And its awesome. But the million dollar question is........... exactly what specifics are required to be able to drop this engine into the bay of my car and as a guesstimate what rough numbers with some general fun mods availiable from work can you see it running ?

I work at Autobarn.

Cheers guys,

Klinger.

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Both engines will have undergone the same punishment, that includes the turbos. Both are ceramic turbines I think (I know the RB is) which makes them both a little fragile. The 3.o Supra would be a great option as it gives you that extra capacity straight away.

As far as drop in though, you would have to get some custom mountings made up for the Supra. The RB also has the exhaust stuff on the passenger's side so all that busy stuff is kept away from the brake booster, etc...

Physically, I don't see a problem with either of them fitting in.

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
klinger said:
But the million dollar question is........... exactly what specifics are required to be able to drop this engine into the bay of my car and as a guesstimate what rough numbers with some general fun mods availiable from work can you see it running ?

The RB26DETT will take very little to get it to 300kW. Free-flowing exhaust, boost upgrade and retune, and that is it. Not sure on the Supra but it may take a little more effort. If you have a good exhaust system at work you can grab then that is most of the effort right there with the RB. Boost increase costs nothing - literally, then allow about $500 for a chip retune.

V

vsttv6

klinger said:
Hey guys,

Am looking at various options for alternatives to doing up a eight.

I figure eights are like arse holes. Everyones got one. Or had one. So im looking at something different perhaps based off a standard, obviously slightly or majorly worked to accomodate whatever method of induction chosen to pursue, V6 EcoTec platform.

What do you guys think ? And girls too.

In the way of forced induction go either the usual s/c route travelled many times before and well worn ?

Or look at something like single or twin turbo set up ?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Ideas and options thank you and welcome,

Klinger.
hey im a owner of a twin turbo v6 ecotec.i got dave from ase to build the kit touching no internals inthe engine and with only 7pounds i managed to pull 300kws at the wheels and comes on boost at 1800rpm