Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sometimes LSD on my VT..

V

VT Calais 5.0

My Calais supposedly has LSD, i've checked the metal tag hanging off the diff, it also conveys to me that it's LSD. Sometimes it'll act like an LSD, and other times it won't. For example, doing a few hoops for a mate so he could get some pictures/video of my car. In the video, the inside wheel (when im going in either direction) will spin/smoke, but not the outside. The cars done 140,000, is this just due to the age of the diff? Or is something else at fault/wrong here?

Last edited by a moderator:

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hi there,
i think i know the cause of your woes. The type of LSD that holden uses currently is a "cone-type" lsd, which instead of using a clutch pack such as in a 9", they use a two opposing metal cones and housings which are held in contact by spring pressure. what causes this locking effect to 'break' is, when you are turning a sharp corner, the force of the wheel overpowers the pressure of the springs and one of the cones slips and allows one wheel only to spin. this is what is happening to your calais. over time, fatigue causes the springs to lose pressure on the cones, thus, you lose the LSD effect gradually and it becomes a plain-jane open wheel diff. have a look through some car magazines and ring around a little, maybe it is worth tracking down some higher rated springs to get you back in order....
hope this helps
Cheers

V

VT Calais 5.0

Thanks for your advice Ecotec, much appreciated. I will have to look into that.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
no problem, let us know how you go....

V

VT Calais 5.0

Just to let you know ecotec, i have decided not to change my LSd. I figure that its not the best idea to spend money so i can waste my tyres easier :). Thanks alot for your info though.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
on the contrary, it would be harder to toast the treads if you fixed the diff cause it would have to turn two tyres instead of one.....

V

VT Calais 5.0

I didnt explain myself properly in my last post, i didnt mean to say it would be easier, it would be harder. But it'd also be more fun:), which would in turn make me want to do it more often.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
I recently had my vyss serviced and they replaced my diff oil and also put in a special additive I asked my mate at street force who said the additive is used because some diffs had a noisey chatter when cornering so the additive was developed to stop this but Jason said the additive also virtualy stops LSD from locking up as well since my service mine has become almost an open wheeler (not happy) I would rather have some noise.

V

VT Calais 5.0

DazVYSS, do you know the name of this additive? Sounds like something i would want to steer clear of.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
I dont knows the exact name its a diff oil additive in a small black bottle.