Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx problem

M

megaman

when driving on freeway something kicks in and puts gear into third when stop car and turn of then turn on, engine light stays on after that went like a slug got a transmission mechanic to have a look reset all codes in computer then worked perfectly. three days later same problem took battery lead off to reset today so far so good but will happen again is there a sensor doing this as when auto mechanic put computer on no transmission fault appeared

R

RKZ234

megaman said:
when driving on freeway something kicks in and puts gear into third when stop car and turn of then turn on, engine light stays on after that went like a slug got a transmission mechanic to have a look reset all codes in computer then worked perfectly. three days later same problem took battery lead off to reset today so far so good but will happen again is there a sensor doing this as when auto mechanic put computer on no transmission fault appeared

It sounds like the fault may have caused the computer to lock the transmission in "limp home mode" which I believe holds the vehicle in 3rd gear until the code is reset.

I'd suggest it is either a faulty sensor or a genuine fault. But without Tech2 at a dealership to download the fault code, it's hard to know what the issue is. But, given the issue has occurred several times in a few days, I'd recommend a trip to a Dealership, because simply resetting the computer is only addressing the symptom and not the issue.

Lano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1
I've got a VT with a similar problem. If I'm just cruising up a hill in 4th, and the car decides it need to change down a gear, it WON'T go back up into 4th until I turn the engine off, and start it again (1st and 2nd work fine) If I'm coming up to a hill and sink the boot in to "make" it go into 3rd, it will go back into 4th after the hill. I don't get any lights with mine though.

M

megaman

the engine light dont come on but still goes back into third spoke to a mechanic said could be a chip in computer i have driven from syney to canberra without a problem next day sure enough does it again will take to holden dealer ?any body recommend a dealer in south west of sydney liverpool campbelltown etc

M

megaman

have had holden put computer on said was transmission fault reset code they said was in there longer than 255 days and took for test drive said code didnt come back on all went normal for 4 days came back and has stopped since

M

megaman

well got holden to look at again code 0085 slipage need recon gear box got quote from transmission place $1600 after going to several people spoke to this dude explained what happens and new straight away said clutch slips and is driveable but will eventually **** itself so have booked in see what happens if it happens to vx vt etc going up hill and goes back in third wont go back in top gear good luck

M

megaman

lano go to holden dealer $66 dollars they will put computer on and tell you the problem if its the same cant help they did say also could be sensor or solanoid hope you are luckier than me

M

megaman

transmission

well car went like a slug took it back to auto trans people got the car back all is working today so far so good did notice one thing cruise control dont work wonder if this was causing problems will drive around for a week or so to see if eliminated problem as i left the car for 3 days there for the fault to reoccur