Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many Mufflers are Legal

R

RKZ234

Mufflers

It's not so much about number of mufflers fitted. It's more about the fact all exhaust gasses pass through a catalytic converter and that the vehicle meets both emissions and noise requirements.

The rear resonator can be removed and changed to a less restrictive "Hot Dog" type muffler, but just make sure it doesn't make the car too noisy and be sure to reset the computer to allow it to recalibrate itself to the exhaust mods.

Last edited by a moderator:

YamahasRsweet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt s pac
RKZ234 said:
and be sure to reset the computer to allow it to recalibrate itself to the exhaust mods.

i just got a exhaust system on my vt and was wondering how do you reset the computer? thanks

R

RKZ234

YamahasRsweet said:
i just got a exhaust system on my vt and was wondering how do you reset the computer? thanks

1. Perform your modification
2. Run the car at operating temperature for about 5 mins.
3. Turn car off and remove computer (BCM) fuse.
(located in the fuse panel in front of the suspension tower on the drivers side)

4. Leave fuse out for about 5 mins, then replace fuse.
5. Close bonnet and start car without touching the accelerator pedal & run for 5 mins. (so computer can recalibrate to your modification)
6. Turn car off, then on again without touching the accelerator pedal.

Last edited by a moderator:

richie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Commodore 3.8V6
hmm should i do that to my VS aswell after the exhaust work I've had done?

is it done the same way ?

cheers

richie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Commodore 3.8V6
anybody know if i should do the same thing i have just had new exhaust and extractors fitted on my vsII thanks guys

R

RKZ234

richie said:
anybody know if i should do the same thing i have just had new exhaust and extractors fitted on my vsII thanks guys

I've had nothing to do with VS's, but I can't see any reason for the same principal not to work.

YamahasRsweet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt s pac
RKZ234 said:
1. Perform your modification
2. Run the car at operating temperature for about 5 mins.
3. Turn car off and remove computer (BCM) fuse.
(located in the fuse panel in front of the suspension tower on the drivers side)

4. Leave fuse out for about 5 mins, then replace fuse.
5. Close bonnet and start car without touching the accelerator pedal & run for 5 mins. (so computer can recalibrate to your modification)
6. Turn car off, then on again without touching the accelerator pedal.

i had a look today in the fuse box in the bonnet and their was no fuse under that name. so i check in the car under the steering wheel and their was one named 'BCM .....' is that the fuse i am after. if not what is it named?

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
Hey i jus removed my rear muffler. I have not put any pipe on but the pipe on it now exits just behind the diff. I was wondering if its illegal and that i need to get straight pipe put on so it goes to the rear bumper. I am in QLD so i don't know if this is illegal or not to have it exiting just behind the diff. Any help would be great ;)

Cheers, Jon Z

R

RKZ234

YamahasRsweet said:
i had a look today in the fuse box in the bonnet and their was no fuse under that name. so i check in the car under the steering wheel and their was one named 'BCM .....' is that the fuse i am after. if not what is it named?

In the fuse panel near the suspension tower, the row of small fuses closest to the headlight has one 10 amp (Red) fuse, located at position 31. This is your Engine/BCM fuse.

The fuse layout is also illustrated on a sticker on the inside of the fuse panel lid you need to remove to be able to see the fuses.