Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhuast mods??

daz08

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 V6 Calais SII
Hey ppl, ive been looking to get a 2 1/2" full system with extractors n cold air induction for my VX. A few ppl have told me different things... like to get a high flow cat, while others tell me they r useless.....n pacemakers r the way to go, while others say hurricane a geneie r just as good and r cheaper. Just wanting people opinions and experiances with all this...

DaZ

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
I have had the exact same thing with my vt. I have already put the cat back system on and am looking at headers now. I have done a bit of looking around and generally im being told that pacemaker, genie and advanced headers are pretty much all about the same.
I am also confused about the high flow cats, however i have only been told once that they make a signifigant increase in power, and personally i think that he wanted my money more than anything (being $395 a peice).
I asked the blokes that did my cat back exhaust which would give me a better increase an SS inductions cold air kit, or the cats and the said the intake which was about 200 or $300 cheaper, they might be wrong but the seemed genuine to me.
Im going with the headers, cat back and intake, i reckon spend your money on something else.

B

BLACK346

Do not "repeat'' Do not waste your $ on SS Reductions
CAI. If you want to gain power go an Over the Radiator
CAI like the one from Sureflo Exhaust
www.surefloexhaust.com.au
Or a sealed pod setup like K&N or Uniflow. Blokes trying
to sell you high flow cats just want your money, get
the stockers opened up to 2.5 inches, should cost you
about $60. Add a good set of headers for note and
you will be laughing. Oh and then heads and cam
and then FI, where does it stop :)

daz08

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 V6 Calais SII
I had a look at the website and sureflow are in n.s.w. Any1 know who does ORCAI in Brisbane? And whats the difference between the standard CAI n ORCAI?

Last edited:

commnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
hi, i've got ss inductions cai,mainly open road driving so not to worried about heat soak, redline filter, genie headers which are only made in bigger primarys [ 1.625]inch for s/c engine but i still got them anyway because i want to s/c one day,they are stainless steel and i hpc coated them,plus genie 2.5" system s/s and cat is in the bin. all is mandrel bent. very pleased with results.

B

BLACK346

commnz said:
hi, i've got ss inductions cai,mainly open road driving so not to worried about heat soak, redline filter, genie headers which are only made in bigger primarys [ 1.625]inch for s/c engine but i still got them anyway because i want to s/c one day,they are stainless steel and i hpc coated them,plus genie 2.5" system s/s and cat is in the bin. all is mandrel bent. very pleased with results.

If this is the LS1 SS Inductions cai you are referring
to it is strangling your car. Try running around the
block breathing through a straw :)
Seriously, pull it off the car and take a look at how
small the air path is where it goes into the twin horn
pipe. What is the point of the huge mouth when it
reduces to a 10cm hole before the airbox?
If yours is the old 5ltr then It is probably ok, just
overpriced and poor quality. I just recieved my
Uniflow sealed pod yesterday and the quality
between this and the SS stuff is worlds apart.

daz08, Powertorque in Brendale sell OTRCAI.

Edit: After rereading this thread I have realised
you guys may be talking about V6's, if you are
disregard all the above. The otrcai is only for
LS1 V8.

commnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
yep v6 :) the cai to air box tube is 4 inches in diameter plus there is a wide piece of alloy which directs air up from the grill. I hav'nt seen any other products to compare build quality. I thought ss inductions was pretty good. just my thoughts.

daz08

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 V6 Calais SII
Yea mate, i have a V6....so u rekon just go with the ss induction? or is there sumthin better?

commnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
if u are city driving only u might want to steer clear of ORCAI because they do heat up a bit, but cool down quite quick also! I live in the country so theres plenty of cold air.

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Good stuff as I have been looking into these sorts of mods to the VX 2001 Manual. I have had only the exhaust system done and looking into headers soon. I have been told to stay clear from cold inductions types. The only header's I have been told and this is coming from 3 different exhaust shops. They all recommend Advance Headers $590 supply and fitted.

Last edited: