Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is my coil pack stuffed????

igotmeavt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore acclaim
i have a s1 vt acclaim and it has started missing and backfiring, when i looked at the car started at night time there was sparks coming out of the leads where it's not meant to. so i go and get new plugs and leads thinking the old leads were stuffed but its still happening so i'm thinking maybe the coil pack it only happens when i accelerate quickly or out on the highway with cruise on it happens and i just blip the throttle and its right and when it happens around town i just back off the throttle a bit. it's like it's missing until the spark gets to the right place, any help,ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated

kaishiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac Manual.
i have the same problem too and been trying to get ideas for it aswell.... i think i just have to take it to holden to get them to diagnose it. but i know what you are feeling... just want to kane the car but it jerks and misses all the time.

batty_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY
mine does the same.. changed leads and plugs didnt help, checked coil packs didnt help, ended up gettin it on the diagnostic tool and found out my abs + trac cont. module wasnt functioning properly was told this wud fix the problem so i got it done paid like $1,500 didnt even fix it still does it :(

have no idea wat it is!!!!

dasa05

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VsIII Statesman
dude replace your coils with new ones same problem vq stato v6 fixed it up staright away thats is if the sparks are coming from coil to lead area? cheers

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Ok fellas, to test your coil packs,
With the engine off, take the first 2 leads of the first coil pack and then start the engine, now have a look @ the metal tips on the coil pack, the spark should be jumping from tip to tip, if the spark jumps anywhere else then the coil is stuff/on its way out! If the coil is ok then turn engine off, replace leads and move onto coil pack num2 and so forth on number 3!

igotmeavt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore acclaim
dude replace your coils with new ones same problem vq stato v6 fixed it up staright away thats is if the sparks are coming from coil to lead area? cheers
yeah the spark is all over the place from the leads so i guess i might check the coil packs

igotmeavt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore acclaim
Ok fellas, to test your coil packs,
With the engine off, take the first 2 leads of the first coil pack and then start the engine, now have a look @ the metal tips on the coil pack, the spark should be jumping from tip to tip, if the spark jumps anywhere else then the coil is stuff/on its way out! If the coil is ok then turn engine off, replace leads and move onto coil pack num2 and so forth on number 3!

thanks for this i will check them soon and tell my result on here

igotmeavt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore acclaim
mine does the same.. changed leads and plugs didnt help, checked coil packs didnt help, ended up gettin it on the diagnostic tool and found out my abs + trac cont. module wasnt functioning properly was told this wud fix the problem so i got it done paid like $1,500 didnt even fix it still does it :(

have no idea wat it is!!!!

was your car doing anything else? were the abs and trac lights ever on or did your t/c ever turn its self off? i hope i don't get this on mine because if i pay out that sort of cash and it doesn't work i'll crack up big time

igotmeavt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore acclaim
i have the same problem too and been trying to get ideas for it aswell.... i think i just have to take it to holden to get them to diagnose it. but i know what you are feeling... just want to kane the car but it jerks and misses all the time.

yeah it's like that but mine comes good after a few seconds once the spark gets to the right place and it still go's hard i had it up 2 190ks a coupla weeks ago

igotmeavt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore acclaim
well i checked the coil packs as mentioned above and they are ok i replaced my leads in exactly the same spots and then got in my car and now it's not doing it anymore??? maybe 1 of the leads may have not been making good enough contact