Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Ecotec oil

rippen50

Braaap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z UTE MY12.5
Doing a change this weekend. Was wondering what you guys use? anything better to get than others.. what filters do u guys use as well.. Cheers

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
factory is is castrol magnatec.. seems to be good gear

and just ask for a filter to suit

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Have always used Castrol Magnatec 10w40 and swear by it. Filters, just ryco or valvoline, I change my oil every 7,000k's and filter every time too because what's ten or fifteen bucks?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Check owners manual and get oil to that specification eg 15w/40 or whatever it advises. Once you find the viscosity from the owners manual, go to an oil retailer and buy a bottle from a major manufacturer eg Castrol, Mobil, Shell, Penrite etc. You can choose full synthetic if you want, but a semi-synthetic is fine and change every 5,000kms. Just use genuine holden oil filter. I get trade so they are cheap, otherwise ryco from same retailer as oil.

red vy2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 S 3.8V6 M5
Have always used Mobil 1 since 1987 in VL, VR2 & now VY2.
In VL & VR did oil change every 20k, used to say on container every 40k. On VY every 15k service.
Never any issues or oil leaks, it being a thinner oil. Never needed a topup either. VL was 5spd 3L & thrashed to the cutout almost daily. Did nearly 350k from new then traded it on VR2. Never any problems apart from fan speed switch.
Oil still looks good when being changed, unlike other oils that come out dark even after 10k.
Fully recommend Mobil 1.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Personally I became quite a fan of Shell Helix High Mileage 15w50 when I had an Ecotec.

Don't be tempted into using a low viscosity oil like 10w30 or anything like that, it's just too thin for the Ecotec, especially given that by now most of them are around the 150,000km+ mark.

Oil still looks good when being changed, unlike other oils that come out dark even after 10k.

That can actually be a bad sign if the oil isn't becoming discoloured. A good oil traps carbon deposits and other contaminants, which is what turns the oil black. This is in no way a bad thing, or sign of a bad oil - quite the reverse.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
Personally I became quite a fan of Shell Helix High Mileage 15w50 when I had an Ecotec.

Don't be tempted into using a low viscosity oil like 10w30 or anything like that, it's just too thin for the Ecotec, especially given that by now most of them are around the 150,000km+ mark.

my vx v6 has only got 64,000kms on it and its manual

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

Oh ok, I guess I should take it all back then because one person has a low kms VX? Do you want a cookie or something?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo

Get out and drive it more you pansy - you're letting holden down.