Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blank Grill.

YEWWWW

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' VY S-pac
hey all,

Just been trying to search for a new grill for my vy, but I wanted a blank grill, because i think they look sexy.

I was going to go to super cheap and just get some of that mesh stuff and rig up my own, but then thought about a bit more and realized im not the sharpest tool in the shed so im tipping it would have looked yobbo.

So does anyone know where I could get one, or even just a guide into making your own if possible.

Thank you

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
here ya go mate.
Step1
i had an chev badge grill. choped the middle out with an angle grinder (with 1mm cutting disk). i then used an Hack saw (very slow and pain full process) to cut the tight corner fiddly bits. (all you cut out is the bit in the middle with the chev badge, leaving behind the outer frame with the orginal mounting points.)
Step2
I then used a smooth file to file all the dags and sharp edges.
Step3
i then used the mesh i got from Autobarn. laying the frame on top of the mesh and roughly tracing the shape onto the mesh (when you cut it out, allways give yourself plenty of green to trim off later).
Step4
i then cut the shape out leaving 25mm of area to play with later. i then trimed bits off mesh till it fitted snug on the frame.
Step5
i couldnt think of any other way to secure the mesh to the frame, so i used some woodwork glue (from mitre 10). and it is still holding today after 2 months of Mount Isa summer heat.

see in my pic, i kept the outer black frame and just cut the center out and glued the mesh behind the frame. it looks and works well, letting extra air-flow into the Rad and engine bay. also my OTR is geting extra cool air
Newgrill042.jpg

Newgrill040.jpg

Last edited:

Kingston_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
its still holding today. im deciding to paint the mesh all black. its good, been keeping engine bay temps down with extra air going through the grill.

heres a picture with the hood up and a close up. as you can see, theres a gap on sides of the outer frame. have to fill them up when i get time again.

lasttimeNA002.jpg

tothezenith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS 5.7L M6
cool, just waiting for pay day now.
I wonder what it'd look like color coded (not the mesh, just the surround). I might have to do some photoshopping to get an idea before I tee up my spray painter friend.

For you and the black mesh, yeah that would look tuff too. With that front on pic of yours, squint your eyes to get an rough idea.

Kingston_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
cool, just waiting for pay day now.
I wonder what it'd look like color coded (not the mesh, just the surround). I might have to do some photoshopping to get an idea before I tee up my spray painter friend.

For you and the black mesh, yeah that would look tuff too. With that front on pic of yours, squint your eyes to get an rough idea.

no worries mate, glad i could help out.
and the front picture is trippy as with the squinting your eyes.

tothezenith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS 5.7L M6
God damn that mesh is a bitch to mold right to suit the surround!
Took a while, a few bloody pokes in my skin, but got it done tonight, just waiting for the liquid nails to dry now.

Kingston_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
God damn that mesh is a bitch to mold right to suit the surround!
Took a while, a few bloody pokes in my skin, but got it done tonight, just waiting for the liquid nails to dry now.

yeah i had to sit there and keep presure for 20mins :p just sat infront of the TV while holding it down :p

get some pictures!!