Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broad but, Best engine oil for a V6?

BakeTheTank

Phreddy-ed UP!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Series II
Hey guys,

I have a Series II S VY and was just wondering on what your opinions and recomendations on engine oil to use.

I'm coming up to my 100000kms service and the previous owner of my car ran Royal Purple 20W50 but i personally think I can probably find some better stuff to put through. I hear Mobil 1 is good?

Opinions? Recommendations?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Mate do some research on the internet, royal purple is pretty much the best engine oil you can get (so I have read) it's better than Mobil 1!

As with anything, you get what you pay for, have you seen the prices of royal purple.

AUSFITTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS series 2
I run magnatec 10w-40 in my missus vy wagon, and that runs great. No weird noises and never had any issues.

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
Same here, Magnatec 10w-40... Great oil at a great price! Seems to quieten down the ecotec a bit too :)

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
my mate runs mobil ONE in his vz. said it was good

heres a good link
Welcome

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
well in my book im fairly sure it says 15w-30 and recently i did my 195000 service and put some Castrol GTX 15w-30 in and it seems to be better on fuel now since changing from what i had before (i think it was Nulon 10w-40)

BakeTheTank

Phreddy-ed UP!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Series II
Mate do some research on the internet, royal purple is pretty much the best engine oil you can get (so I have read) it's better than Mobil 1!

As with anything, you get what you pay for, have you seen the prices of royal purple.

Yeah I have been reading up theres no real comparion sheets between oils in the Ecotech engine that I can find anyway.

The cheapest I can get royal purple for is 90 for about 5L which isnt too bad. Just seeing if anyone had a sure-fire oil perfect for the ecotech :)

Cheers mate.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Personally, Castrol Magnatec 10-w-40. Seems to be a good oil and is popular/common for Ecotecs.