Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6-V8 engine swap or buy a V8??

CUM4TM3

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vx executive series 2
Hey guys just wanted opinions on what 2 do, should I buy a V6 Wagon an swap the engine 2 a V8 or just buy an SS Wagon?? Just thinking price wise, I'm pretty set on an SS wagon but people ask a lot for them because of the SS branding but because I'm in Perth getting a V8 wagon is hard to come by so that's y I was thinking the engine swap......

Cheers Andrew

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
You get a lot more in an SS wagon than just a V8:
-Leather seats
-LSD
-Electric windows
-Traction control
-Body kit
-FE2 Suspension
-Pretty cluster

That's all that comes to mind and of course you get a legendary LS1 is in there ready to rumble.

It would be a good project to swap, but buying an LS1 is about $2-3K. So add that on to the price of the V6. Then think of the problems people have with conversions, it's a BIG job. Do some reading on here, plenty of people have thought of doing it in sedans or done it. See if you want to go through their pain. Particularly the rego situation, whatever it is in WA.

My SS is flawless and I love it, best thing I've ever done. I've got washing machines, surfboards, lounges and push bikes in the back all the time. But I agree, people are charging too much for a 10 year old car. Talk them down, find someone desperate to sell, walk away and see if they come after you the next few days. You could also look at berlina wagons, some of them came out with the V8 if you're not interested in the extra SS stuff. All depends whether you're motivated enough to do a conversion, I know I'd rather just buy it ready to go as a conversion is a lot of work.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
absolutely, why is it that everyone thinks that all you get in a Clubsport or an SS is the V8, there's plenty more to it.

My old boss thought that his car was "just a couple below" my Clubsport - he had an S pack - I facepalmed.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
What's the insurance cost between a v8 wagon and a ss v8 wagon?

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I doubt you'd get reasonable insurance for a transplanted V8. Mines about $370/year for full comprehensive with Aami, but I cranked up my excess to about $2K cause if I'm gunna crash, it's gunna be a big one!

CUM4TM3

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vx executive series 2
The ss wagons if seen on carsales.com are around 18K-20K in Perth area so I was thinking of buyin interstate and paying for the freight to w.a, I have seen sum V8 Berlina wagons but I may aswell go the ss extras, I had a look last night on here with conversions an stuff an decided not 2 as I don't have the time to do it myself or the money 2 pay someone else to do it so it looks like ill be lookin into a Berlina wagon or an ss wagon but I'm leaning towards an ss wagon as they look meaner an with all the mods I wanna do to it, it will be a better car, thanks for the advice guys :)

TRI570

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Buy the SS for sure. Conversion could be a prick of a job if **** hits the fan. Also is there any chance of v6 parts breaking due to the extra v8 power?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I would have bought a SS wags back in the day but the timing wasn't right. If you want a wagon they are hard to pass up.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Maybe Look at a Adventra Mate, Iv been looking around for a VY SS Wagon as well, But found they are 15k at least around my area, But can pick up a LX8 for under that price, Very similar Options the SS has, Except a sports kit, But the Adventra is AWD :D